Upstairs PC:
Compaq Presario 5UVME2
AMD Duron 900
Windows XP Professional
128MB SDRAM
Wireless via Linksys Wireless-B USB Network Adapter
Has Internet Connection

OK

I've ran Network Setup Wizard on both, there both on the same workgroup, HOME, there both set to "this computer is connected to the internet through another computer on my network, or through a residential gateway". I remember seeing a guide to do this and I remember them saying use "residential gateway"... I go to my network places, then click "view workgroup computers" and it says "Home is not accessible........" I have NetBEUI and file and printer sharing for microsoft networks on and I dont know what is wrong. I get that Not accessible error on both machines... Any Help?

Nick

Comments

• In the protocols, do you have "Client for Microsoft Networks" ?

-Q
  • same problem I had, well almost
  • yes, I have it on both, and no windows firewall is enabled
  • If your only going to network two PC, why don't you just do a direct connection?
  • edited February 2005
    OK. I dont want to do a direct connect. Why do you think I have wireless???My dad doesnt like wires all over the place, and we rent...
  • You rent? You mean an apartment or yourr router or computer or what?
  • We rent and apartment, well it's a douplex... Belive me, if I could do that, I would've along time ago...
  • well you could always do what i do.... i have a 75ft cable going from my p4 to the switch in my room...... anyways here the check list of thing you need to do...

install TCP/IP and if you have a router make sure that the router has DCHP enabled and on your computers check "obtain IP address automatically"

now make sure you have the same workgroup.... which you've done....

make sure you have Client for Microsoft Networks

now make sure you have the same account on both computers, like administrator.... or just enable guest account.....

if after all this, it still doesn't work.... then the simplest solutions are offten most over looked... when i had problems networking my p4 to the rest of hypnos i simply reinstalled the NIC drivers.... and what'd'ya know it worked.....
  • OK Thanks BlueSun... Ill check tomorrow