Linux Server, What Part..

edited February 2005 in Software
What partition do webpage and FTP accounts go so that all a peroson neeeds to do is just FTP into my server and upload a few files... Is it /home or /var ?

Thanks

Comments

• Your FTP diretory is set when you make the account. It's all up to you.
  • /home/name is where FTP goes. As for making a folder for personal web pages, i have no idea.
  • if you've got apache with mod_userdir its /usr/home/<user>/public_html
  • Heh, got to try that...
  • What partition do webpage and FTP accounts go so that all a peroson neeeds to do is just FTP into my server and upload a few files... Is it /home or /var ?

Thanks
    Ah, its directory, not partition... (wrong)
  • In case you don't know, UNIX and Linux treats partitions sort of like folders. They each have a mount point which pretty much acts like a folder. mounts points such as /var, /usr/, or a custom mount point such as /files.

And then you got folders, if you have a folder called stuff in your /var. You would just open up /var/stuff.
  • Dude....
    Google wrote:
    (computer science)
    the part of a hard disk that is dedicated to a particular operating system or application and accessed as a single unit
    www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn
  • I wasn't talking to you. :P

And I said they treat them "like" folders when talking about mounting. Just like Windows assigns drive letters, UNIX/Linux assigns mount points that act "like" folders.

I was just explaining that /home and /var are partitions, not folders.
  • I C

"like" is very powerful, LOL
  • "Let the reader beware" is the doctrine with familiar online advice it seems.

-Q
  • Some distors already come with FTP Daemons that are set to use the user's directory. For a example say you added me to your system. The home path for me would be /HOME/TCPMETA so the FTP deamon would give me access to that and also to the whole drive that has the chmod set to 777. Should do a check frist on another PC and FTP in using your main user access, not your ROOT access. If you don;t have a FTP Daemon setup like what I have told above then just check out on www.google.com/linux for a help guide on setting up a FTP.

As for a HTTPD if the distro you picked already came with it chances are its in /var/www/html and /var/www/cgi-bin.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It's still NOT a good idea to chmod your whole drive to 777 though LMAO
  • Tom, shut the fuck up.
  • Don't act like you're not wrong. (fail)
  • Ok.. We can drop this now, SME Server seems to do this automaticly...
  • Tomchu wrote:
    BOD wrote:
    It's still NOT a good idea to chmod your whole drive to 777 though LMAO

Yeah, no kidding. Give everyone write access to everything? Lame. (fail)

more than lame, well unless you like being owned by "l337 h4x0r kiddies"
  • TCP isn't a l337 h4x0r kiddie...just an overall dumbass.
  • The difference?