Combase conflict

edited March 2005 in Software
I have been trying to get my ethernet card working on my laptop. I tried it in windows 95 and got an error along the lines of "that combase is already in use". Since I wasn't planning on using windows 95 on that coumputer I fresh installed PCDOS 2000 and Windows 3.11 but i still keep getting combase errors no matter what program I use to install it. I can get PCMCIA drivers installed and CardWiz recognizes the card but there are still problems with combase. Is there something I can put in the config.sys file to fix this? The only setting I can change in my BIOS is switching the COM number of the serial port from two to four or turn it off which doesn't affect the issue. I just got a broadband connection so I can't wait for the downloads section to come back up. Winworld is the greatest website ever! Thank you for any help.

Comments

• It's a Compal TS30AS wiht a cirrus logic 6720 PCMCIA Controller and I'm installing a Xircom IIps Ethernet card. If any of that could be relevant. I'm pretty sure there is a way to change com port assignment int he config.sys but none of my books say how. That seems like my best chance at fixing the problem.
  • Hey I feel for you I have one of those old notebooks I am trying to upgrade it somewhat and have run into alot of problems. I had to connect it to my desktop and let my desktop install everything.