Simple Network but i have no clue at all.

edited March 2005 in Software
Hey guys. I want to share files between my laptop and the desktop. The cards are installed. The kind of network i want is a simple filesharing one. i dont want to share printers, cd rom drives, or internet. I want to use fiels on one computer to another. I bought a cross over cable and its pluged in. both computers are running xp home. There is a setup wizzard but i dont know whihc option to chose from. And it seems they can not "see" each other. can anyone help a brotha out :P Thanks

Comments

• What kind of Cable? Ethernet, Serial, Parallel, etc...
  • Select New Connection Wizard in Accessories> Communications. Select 'Setup an Advanced Connection' then select 'Direct Cable Connection' (depending on the type of cable ur using), then On your Host Machine select Host and on the Guest, select Guest...

OK, Ethernet... In your 'Device for this connection' you should have the card listed...
  • No... That's not the way to do it...

You need to set up a network, then turn on File Sharing
  • sooooo ... how do i set up a network, do what you said about with the set up advanced coneection?

• go to radio shack and purchase a cross-over cable (they shouldn't be more than about $10 for a simple 5' cable. if you know how to SOHO network a few compputers to a hub, then the idea is the same except you are not using a hub and you are limited to just two computers. connect the two computers and decide which will be the gateway, run the netwoprk setup wizard on that first and it should be assigned the 192.168.0.1 automatically, if not the r click the network icon and choose properties and manually set it's address as such, and subnet should read the default 255.255.255.0 and the gateway will read back to itself if you input 192.168.0.1 after that is done then you do the same with the other computer but make sure the address is 192.168.0.2 and reads from the gateway of 192.168.0.1 if you are using ME or other then you might have to input the name of the computer for the gateway, xp won't ask you that. if you have any firewalls, you might want to manuall;y configure to allow for the two IPs (192.168.0.1 & 192.168.0.2) if you still have trouble check your firewall setting for trusted zones (networked computers not internet zones) and also check your internet options securities. if you still get problems then email at: communications@sunbeach.net and I will walk you through it. I like to build my own cat5 but if you are not used to doing it often with success you are better off buying one that is professionally made so that you know that your problems with connecting are not because you messed up on the rj45 plug.
    YWAM Barbados
  • what network icon? my network places thats on the desktop?
  • lol ^ i just found out when i search for computers they do find each other
  • Now just go to the HDD on both and select 'Sharing and Security, and share them to be able to transfer. Is this a long term situation? If I is I would find a more portable way like the way I have: A Wireless Router and Network Card so you're not tied down with wires... But that's just a suggestion... (Wireless-G is Awesomely Fast)
  • NTL1991 wrote:
    Now just go to the HDD on both and select 'Sharing and Security, and share them to be able to transfer. Is this a long term situation? If I is I would find a more portable way like the way I have: A Wireless Router and Network Card so you're not tied down with wires... But that's just a suggestion... (Wireless-G is Awesomely Fast)

not compared to wired, in my experience, wireless speed wise sucks
  • Not if You have Wireless-G... B only gets 11Mbit/Sec where you get 54Mbit/Sec... Personally, I'd rather suffer with the speed than to be tied down with wires.
  • You're not going to get close to 54Mbps if you tried.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Wireless is just for convience, not performance
  • lol thanks for the input guys, its all transfer set up. It says its suposed to transfer at 100.0mbps i dont know how true that is but its fast enough for me the way it is. The only reason i went through it was case the cd rom on the laptop dies and now i have or has no way to put office xp on it.