Crappy Laptop that has became fun again.

edited March 2005 in Hardware
Some of you might remember a while back (on the old forums) that I had a box full of old laptops. I only got one to work and have played with it countless times. Sadly it doesn't have a CD-ROM and the PCMICA LAN card I had for it broke "Shakes Fist" . The laptop is a old DELL Latitude XPi P133ST. It's a werid laptop, the CPU is Mobile Pentium at 133MHz but has MMX and only expanable to 40MBs of ram (fail) . Since of the low ram I use it for Abandonware stuff. It has Dr-DOS, WFW 3.11 and Grey Cat Linux. Anyway right now im sick of using a 486 I have that has DOS 6.22 and WFW 3.11 that is on my network and using it to copy files from it to my laptop via LPT with Interlnk and Intersvr. I'll get down to the point. Does anyone know where I can find a PCMICA CD-ROM drive and a Lan card. The laptop only uses 16bit PCMICA cards and has no USB. I don;t trust Ebay because I have tryed to buy stuff for this laptop on ebay a few times and when I get them they're not compatable. I have a few extra sticks of memory that are standard EDO 144pin simms and a 32bit lan card and a 32bit 4 port USB card. On the ad they said they were compatable with my laptop and said they were 16bit.

Comments

• A PCMCIA card shouldn't be that hard to find a compatable one. You just need a 16-bit one.

And does anyone know what's with a 133 MHz MMX? I've seen these before. Are they just 166 MHz underclocked or was there really a 133 MHz model. I only remember a 166 MHz MMX at the least
  • You can still buy 16bit cards, i got a D-Link one for my laptop
  • I think it is a 166MHz CPU that is unclocked unless Intel's Mobile CPU line was just set with diffrent speeds that had MMX.
  • I had a Xircom Realport 56k/10/100mbit combo PCMCIA card that worked perfectly in my IBM P90 laptop.

I'm going to buy a 3Com MegaHertz 10/100mbit card tomorrow for
  • You might look into getting a parallel port CD-ROM. I got one a while back for installing OSes on my old pre-USB laptops. I've got an old XPi CD 150st, that has the build in CD rom, does yours have a space for the internal CD? My 150st has blowout video (have to use an external monitor with it).
  • BTW, 133MHZ MMX Pentiums were only released in mobile form, the desktop Pentium MMXs start at 166MHz.
  • Classic Mobiles are so fun, since they somehow run with barely any cooling.
  • plus they can make fun war driving tools. Since most of the old ones still have a 9 pin serial.