Can Anyone Interpret POST Beeps?

edited March 2005 in Hardware
Yeah... I took my old Packard Bell out (Cyrix MII-300) and I put everything in I took out. Last time I tried Starting it with RAM it wouldn't beep on POST. Now It does but I get a Long Beep, then 2 Short Beeps then like 2 seconds later I get a short deep-sounding beep then a short deeper-sounding beep. I then took all the RAM out and I get no beep...

This Is what it Says in my Packard Bell Guide via MultiMedia Viewer:
Chapter 5 5-1 Error Messages

Chapter 5: Error Messages

When your computer's power is switched on, the system will automatically go through initialization, which includes running the Power-On Self Test (POST). If any fatal errors are detected (which prevent the system from continuing the boot process), a beep code may sound, or an error message may appear on your monitor screen. The following descriptions of beep codes and error messages include causes and possible solutions.

Beep Codes

The terminal-error handler issues a beep code, writes the error to I/O port 80hex, attempts to initialize the video, and displays the error in the upper-left corner of the screen.
One long tone followed by two short tones during POST indicates a video failure (no card installed, or the card is faulty), or that an external ROM does not checksum to zero.

Beeps 80h Code Description

1 B4h One short beep before boot (POST completed normally)
1-2 98h Search for options ROMs. One long, two short beeps on checksum failure
1-2-2-3 16h BIOS ROM checksum
1-3-1-1 20h Test DRAM refresh
1-3-1-3 22h Test keyboard controller
1-3-3-1 28h Autosize DRAM
1-3-3-2 29h Initialize POST memory manager
1-3-3-3 2Ah Clear 512KB base RAM

1-3-4-1 2Ch RAM failure on address line xxxx
1-3-4-3 2Eh RAM failure on data bits xxxx of low byte of memory bus
1-4-1-1 30h RAM failure on data bits xxxx of high byte of memory bus
2-1-2-2 45h POST device initialization
2-1-2-3 46h Check ROM copyright notice
2-2-3-1 58h Test for unexpected interrupts

2-2-4-1 5Ch Test RAM between 512 and 640KB

I have a PCI 2MB Video Card from the DeskPro. (The PB uses onboard) I have 6 Sticks of RAM, new and Old, and they all do the same thing... I can try it with the new card, but I didnt even have the monitor hitched up, or anything else for that matter.

Can Anyone help me?

Thanks...

Comments

• I am Packard Bell, feel my wrath.
  • Try with the monitor.
  • I did no luck. I will now try with the PCI Card...
  • why the hell did they move to the UK? Their Systems last a LONG time compared to _________.

No Seriously, They last some time...
  • I know. I loved my 133 :)
  • NTL1991 wrote:
    ...but I didnt even have the monitor hitched up, or anything else for that matter.

Can Anyone help me?

Thanks...
    Define anything. No keyboard, mouse? Without those some computers will bitch all day. You should give it all needed peripherals before you try getting it to work
  • No Luck. Now it wont even beep one beep... Maybe the CPU is fried
  • well... make sure the video is all squared away, some computers won't even get very far on the POST as they detect video before anything.
  • I've got an old Packard Bell, it's really cool. A Pentium 233 MMX with 64MB RAM (needs upgrade).
  • Well, I guess Ill just make due with the Compaq...

Nick