Windows PE and OPK

edited March 2005 in Software
Can someone tell me if MS Windows XP Preinstallation Enviroment (PE) and the XP OPK OEM CD are the same thing, or do i make a iso for the WinPE from the OPK CD?

Comments

• OPK? I don't know what that abreviation is...
    *googles* OEM Preinstallation Kit
    Ok, well... I still don't know exactly what it is. It seems like something that runs before XP itself begins to install. (like restoring those hidden partitions some OEM like to put on your hard drive). Speaking of hidden partitions, the hidden dell one, is a full diagnostics tester. It's windows 95 under the hood, but it checks all aspects of the computer.

EDIT: To elaborate a bit... the PE environment is what's running behind the scenes during XP's actual GUI based setup portion (very similar to how mini windows ran behind 95 (and 98?)). So it wouldn't be a seperate thing, unless you use something like Bart's PEbuilder.
  • OEM Preinstallation Kit is used to customise Windows XP before installation. It's dummy-proof. I have a copy for XPSP2 (works with SP1 and RTM also). Windows PE is a special environment used to customise the system before it is re-sealed for the user, so that when they start the computer it has all the software, but they still get to enter their information. OPK has the PE I think.