Bios: Drive Controller Error

edited March 2005 in Hardware
I get a Drive Controller Error on Boot for my Compaq DeskPro... What could It be? I tried taking all the cables out (IDE, Power) and inserting them back in, But that doesn't work... Hmm

Nick

Comments

• You'll get that whenever you add or remove drives. Press F1 or whatever and it'll show the list of drives.

Make sure they're all hooked up correctly.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I took the Master/Slave Selector thing out (It says Master- Pin 3 or None

So I took it out (it was on pin 3) and it worked. I then proceded to put Windows 95 on it and I didnt get to far. I was copying the install files to the other partition (C= 2GB + D= 1GB = 3GB HDD) and I couldnt get the PC to boot from the HDD. It would stay blank afer the bios and checking the Floppy, CD, etc. I had copyied Command.com and Autoexec.bat and that's how you make it boot from the HD and not say No Operating System Found, Right?... I dunno. Well I decided to put 98 on it... I really wanted 95 on it though...
  • using a boot disk and typeing sys c: works better..... theres more to it then command.com and autoexec.bat
  • Actually, you have to SYS C: to make it install the bootsector. FDISK /MBR if it still doesn't work.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • which is easyier? copying manualy...... or just typing sys c:?

sys C: :p
  • You need to sys c: so it will boot.
  • Oh OK. So I need to make a Win95 Boot CD and when I get to the Prompt I type Sys c: and it will copy the files? Thanks... I might try that. Maybe I want win 3.1 though... That would be hard. I'd have to make the Floppy work some how or make my CD-RW bootable for the first disk of DOS 6, then erase it and do the second, then erase then the 3rd... Uhh Thats a long process. Is there any way to just copy the files in to the DOS directory in C:?
  • err... back in the day I downloaded a dos 6.22 and win 3.11 cd from TCPMeta. It has a batch file that installs dos and then the 3.11 setup runs just fine from a cd. Want me to find that for you?
  • OK Thanks