PHP5 Problems in FreeBSD

edited March 2005 in Software
I've been trying to install PHP5 for some time now, the newest port which I got the other day, and I got it installed. But everywhere I read it goes on about library files, which I don't have.

Is there some way I can use the /usr/local/bin/php file in Apache2?

I'm a bit of a FreeBSD n00b by the way, so you may need to spell it out.

Thanks.

Comments

• If its from the ports collection or a package installed by sysinstall it should install the dependancies itself, but its probably easier to compile it from the source
  • thats basically what i did, i ahd the tarball etc, but when it installed, no libraries
  • so i assume you

pkg_add <packagename>.tgz
  • run sysinstall and install the ports collection.

then cd to /usr/ports
    cd lang
    cd php5

and then make
    make install

at least i think thats how it goes
  • ok, cheers bod, i'll try it soon, i'm just installing MySQL now
  • This BTW is for a test server, because NT4 runs really fucking slow. The GUI is completely unneccesary, so on one of my spare PCs, I'm trying out a FreeBSD minimal install, and seeing how it goes.

Fingers crossed :)

I was going to try Linux, but I hate the way you can't just get a standard distribution that ahs only the base OS, but actually installs it, and comes with all neccessary components, e.g. CC, FTP, etc.

For me, FreeBSD fits that category. I guess Tom's turned me from being a Linux person. I am now officially a FreeBSD supporter.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Zenithus wrote:
    I was going to try Linux, but I hate the way you can't just get a standard distribution that ahs only the base OS, but actually installs it, and comes with all neccessary components, e.g. CC, FTP, etc.

Slackware isn't as popular for servers but fits that description perfectly. So does Debian.

BTW, I'm not trying to convert you, just inform you. :)
  • So can BSD -- and not manage to fuck itself over.
  • Thats why I like FreeBSD, iit has a base system. :)
  • Yep.

BTW, I got PHP5 working with BOD's instructions. :D
    Just need a bit more configuration, and then the tests can begin.