high color icons for windows 3.11

edited March 2005 in Software
hey guys im trying to sproosen up the 3.11 enviornment, and i was wondering if theres any place to get some cool high colored icons for it.? Thanks

Comments

• i dont know where, but if you want to know, ive been able to get icons up to 256 colors in 3.1. thats the highest you can go.
    just use any 256 color icons (2k ones are that)
  • so all i need to do is take them from 2k? , hmm what about xp? cause i dont have 2k nstalled :(
  • Try Calmira XP Shell.
  • The shell works, but the icons are not set for 256-color by default. Something in the registry has to be set. I think it's the same as any Windows version. Install a graphics driver, then do this registry change, if Win3.1 supports it:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Window Metrics]
    Key: Shell Icon BPP
    Type: String Value

16 is a little too high for Win3.1 and uses a bit more memory.. 4 will set it to 16-color icons. So, set the value to 8. It's just as effective as 16, but with less memory usage. I'm not sure if that key path exists in Windows 3.1, but the Key does exist.
  • hmmm digging through the win 3.1 registry is weird,, im in the current user place but i cant find no control panel or windos metrics. there is a desktop but it has nothing with icons as i can se.
  • T4, obviously you are mixing this with Win95 original
  • I know.... I literally have to go install win31 and find the keys myself. Search Google in the mean time.
  • well a cruder 16 bit version of resistry editor is instaled from the 16 bit ver of IE 5
  • lol today i read on a site if you have set the display to 16 bit color you cna use 256 color icons in 256 colors so i may try that
  • you should be using 16 bit colour atleast if you want high colour icons....

using 256 colour icons on a 256 colour display isn't gonna give you very good performance... i think the icons will mess up a lot..
  • i have tried it and it works or atleast i think it does. I took the shell32.dll off the xp computer , there was more than one shell32.dll to my suprise. they all had different icon sets, like one had the ones from windows xp - which i didnt use cause i fgured they would look bad on 256 color. There was the set from windows 2k/ME which i did use cause i like them and the ones from windows 95/98 was one there two in a different shell32