An Idea...

edited April 2005 in Software
You'll probably think I sound crazy:

Is it possible to have one computer that has a huge hd and everyone's files and settings, and have other pc's that comunicate to that 'Host' PC to get your Docs, User Settings, so at every pc you log in at, you have the same files and settings so you dont have one PC that has this program, os, docs, wallpaper, etc. and another pc that has that program, os, docs, wallpaper, etc? Am I crazy? Is there such thing? Am I wording everything clearly?

Thanks,
Nick

(I just has this idea because my dad wanted me to make both our PCs identical so if one goes, we have the exact same stuff that we had before... And it though This would be easier than updating the other PC wherver you download something)

Comments

• The closest thing I can think of is logging on to a domain so that if you lose a computer everything is stored on a central server.
  • the only thign i can think of that matchs that is a domain controller and file server.....

get your server, make sure its got a huge hdd for what you apperently want to do with it, install a server edition OS, like 2003 server, set it up as a domain controller

set up your user names

set up a roaming profile, store it on that server, set the usernames you created to use that roaming profile, and copy all of your docs to the server.....

i never got this to work completely right... probably somthing i overlooked...
  • Well, when we get our new house, we are going to have wired instead of Wireless so that will be faster and easier to set up one of those... I dont want anything to be on the client pcs except the OS... That sounds possible... I should save this for later reference... Thanks

Nick
  • Active director is what you want really, but for home use it's pointless, it takes years to log in and isn't really worth it
  • Why not just have one computer with all the user profiles on and make the usernames/password identical on both PCs?
  • You could do what Jule said and then go to computer management and set the location of the profile to where you stored it
  • Can't you move D&S to a network-located directory?
  • NTL1991 wrote:
    (I just has this idea because my dad wanted me to make both our PCs identical so if one goes, we have the exact same stuff that we had before... And it though This would be easier than updating the other PC wherver you download something)
    I don't know if it'd be easier or not NTL1991. It'd
    probably be more simple to do it the way your dad
    wanted someway.
    Here's some help for that from an older Langa List:
    Langa List

Thump
  • It was just an idea though... I was thinking it was going to take forever to load...
  • nightice wrote:
    Can't you move D&S to a network-located directory?

That's what I posted about, in computer management you can set where the profile directory is for each user