LTSP

edited April 2005 in Software
Has anyone tried this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Linux Terminal Server Project. I installed it last night and it works quite nicely. It is literally soooooo much faster than Windows 2003 Terminal Server (Aka. Try 30secs between pressing the "ON" button and being on the KDE Desktop). I wonder wether you can run this on FreeBSD. But then, I'd have to install FreeBSD.

Actually, on that point, How much is FreeBSD like Linux? They're both from the same UNIX family however, what are the differences. And I don't want "Linux sucks" answers (Tomchu, Steve, etc.)

Thanks.....

Comments

• FreeBSD (loosely) comes from University of California-Berkeley's variant of Unix, but by now there's no AT&T Unix code and very-little-to-none of the 4.4BSD code that was ported to the 386.

Linux, OTOH, started as a hobby kernel and fit nicely into the GNU project.

Basically, if you can use one, you can pretty easily adapt to the other. In fact, if you've used Slackware, you should feel very comfortable with any BSD, especially OpenBSD.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • 30 seconds isn't slow when it's loading pre-Kernel Network Support from a Floppy Disk. ;)
  • Um, Actually, 30 seconds is still quite slow, cept when your booting WITH other things (apache, proftpd, samba, etc.) then things start to get slower. Meh, I'm happy with it.

Also, whats the difference between OpenBSD and FreeBSD? They're both free aren't they? And they'fe both Open Source aren't they? So whats the difference.

Thanks.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.