Hard Drive Repair

edited April 2005 in Hardware
I recently bought a WD Protege from eBay (100% tested and working(!)) and shoved it in one of my computers, only to find that the ting just kept clicking! Apparently its a firmware problem, so is there any way that I could fix it? Or should I just get another one...

Comments

• Zenithus wrote:
    I recently bought a WD Protege from eBay (100% tested and working(!)) and shoved it in one of my computers, only to find that the ting just kept clicking! Apparently its a firmware problem, so is there any way that I could fix it? Or should I just get another one...

The disk motor is stuck, hit the drive gently on the top.
  • I tried that, still nothin. It just makes these little clicky sounds, then powers off, then powers on and starts the noises again.
  • That kinda explains why it was on ebay, doesnt it?
  • Well, it was tested as working, so I told the guy who I bought it off, an dif I send it back I get a replacement :D so I'm happy.

Shame though, I wanted to take a hammer to the cunt.
  • Zenithus wrote:
    Shame though, I wanted to take a hammer to the cunt.

Dig out a few 40 - 100 MBs ;).

~Duff
  • I haven't got any, lol, otherwise I would've. I had a nice little laptop hard drive once, until it broke into a hundred pieces. I like smashing things.
  • Then buy a 400 GB SATA hard drive, then smash it!

Muhahaha (I must be drunk, j/k).

~Duff
  • If you're gonna buy a 400GB SATA drice give it to me, I want to actually use my mobo's SATA controller...
  • Do I seem like the guy who can afford a 400 GB SATA drive? I'm still on a damn 30 GB until I can buy a new 120 GB SATA in the next few weeks.

~Duff
  • Duff wrote:
    Do I seem like the guy who can afford a 400 GB SATA drive? I'm still on a damn 30 GB until I can buy a new 120 GB SATA in the next few weeks.

~Duff
    Heh... I don't have any SATA. Though I do plan on buying a 120GB ATA drive in the not so distant future, my 80, 40, and 25 gig hard drives are all full, and I need to replace the 80 gig. It was given to me from a friend for use in Serverus (hunk of junk that's gone bye bye) and is now in Dual, but it has damaged sectors so I just want to get a new bigger drive (and I don't think Dual will pass the 137GB limit without added in controllers, which would be too much of a pain) and give the 80 gig back. Then I'll probably get another one for my mini a paycheck or two later, as I want to spread my spendings out a bit. Then at some point I may get a bigger drive for my dell, and whatever spare drives are left will probably be used as secondary storage, or I'll give the portable hard drive idea another shot (had one, the enclosure died, then I killed the hard drive a month later).