JuleOS EM Messenger

JJ
edited April 2005 in Software
I know I mentioned about 2 days ago that I'd secretly been developing a little IM system called JuleOS EM Messenger.

It is now up to version 5.0.2 on the server and 5.0.12 (4th release) for the client. *it is fully working!*

The client is open source...but the server aint, so bugger off and dont bother asking for the code.

It's basic and FAST ... featureless too, but if you want to try it, PM/Email me and I'll set you an account up.

Some screenshots of the current client...
em-1.png

em-2.png

Comments

• Haha, that is so one of the rights of passage for anyone interested in network related programming. I think a trojan is up there too.

If it was done in VB, disregard what I just said.
  • It is done in VB. It's got an open source client.

See http://em.juleos.ath.cx/client for the latest open source client (when my server's online that is)
  • Looking good so far Jonny! Keep up the good work.
  • I wanted to make my own IM thing once, but didnt know how, so I created the AIM bot instead.

Very kool....keep up excellent work.
  • James Babb wrote:
    I wanted to make my own IM thing once, but didnt know how, so I created the AIM bot instead.

Very kool....keep up excellent work.

loooool that's so l333333t, not :P

If you read a quick network tutorial (Beej's or even the one Microsoft provides for Winsock as part of MSDN) then read some of the documentation for socket / winsock functions it shouldn't be that hard. The IM client was one of the very first things I did when I was learning about 'network' programming. First day too.
  • This is the second attempt that I've made.

So far, I've completed...
    - Buddy lists
    - Online statuses
    - The actual core of IM
    - Authentication

I hope to achieve more soon, like custom fonts and emoticons. HTML may become an aspect...

Release 7 due out soon...
  • Pre-Release 7...
    PR7 is due to have many more features, including...
    - Updated status list
    - Custom status
    - Tray icon
    - Contact Administrator button
    - Removal of 'Bud' from 'MyBuds' list
    - Signup process in app
    - Update checker

So far, the only things that I haven't programmed in are...
    - Removal of 'Bud' from 'MyBuds' list
    - Signup process in app
    - Update checker

Soon, it'll have so much in it. This is just release 7 of the first version...
  • Excellent news!
    If you want to try the new pre-release (version 5.0.93), then download the installer (it includes all neccessary files) from:
    http://em.juleos.ath.cx/client/Releases ... d%2093.exe

When my server is online that is...
  • Man...this is totally changing...

Installer of build 112 is out (I hope)

I might start work on 5.1 tommorow.