Guest Account Settings in XP Pro

edited April 2005 in Software
Can someone tell me step by step how to set the guest account in XP like the one in 2000, so every time you log out it resets EVERYTHING in the account... But I only want that on the Guest Account... Is it possible? Thanks

Nick

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • "so every time you log out it resets EVERYTHING in the account..."

hes talking about having the settings in the guest account reset to default after they log off, right?

in which case i have no idea how to do that and would also like to know...
  • yes, thank you bluesun
  • It doesnt happen in XP... I want it to.

Also, How can I set Each account to start up with different things? Like if I want to surf the internet fast, ill log on to guest with nothing starting up so it'l be fast...
  • tomchu have you tried it in XP?

i have changed the wallpaper and colours of the guest account in XP and the settings are retained.....

i don't know about 2000 cause i never have had the guest account enabled on 2000

and it doesn't take that long..... in fact it takes less time then logging in to my normal account

hmm check this out: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assis ... 01033.aspx

i don't have time to right now, give it a look-see and see if its what you want
  • they must have changed it since then, because when i first enabled the guest account, i set up wallpapers, colours... saved a few files....... and they are still there today
  • Oh I have SP1
  • me as well...... maybe that was somthign they changed? i don't see why though
  • TweakUI can delete history and temp files at logoff, is that what you need or do you need the files to disappear as well?
  • I need:

*Windows to delete downloaded files such as .exe's, temps, history, cache, saved passwords, etc.

*Windows to revert EVERY setting the Guest user changed such as Wallpaper, Icon Locations, etc.

*Windows to do this every time the user logs off.

That's What I need

Nick
  • can't you just make a batch file or logoff scipt?
  • he wants the guest account in XP to be like the one in 2000...... i tried guest account in 2000 last night, changed colours, walpapers..... download some crap.... logged out, it was gone....

XP's doesn't do that... i think its somthing with the security policy.... i dunno i never looked in to it
  • gpedit.msc?
  • NTL1991 wrote:
    gpedit.msc?
    The group policy editor. start>run>gpedit.msc.
  • yeah thats what you want... look through there and see if its in there.......

i haven't looked through the whole thing yet... but theres a "Don't Save Settings on Exit" that sounds to me like what you want

"Prevents users from saving certain changes to the desktop.

If you enable this policy, users can change the desktop, but some changes, such as the position of open windows or the size and position of the taskbar, are not saved when users log off. However, shortcuts placed on the desktop are always saved."

wow this has a ton of cool shit in here.....
  • yeah... Do I have to be in the Guest Account I made then do all this or can I select certain users after the Dont save settings thing?
  • Sort of off topic but there's software called "DeepFreeze" which makes a image of the hard drive, and reloads it upon the start of Windows unless disabled before shutdown/restart. Thus this would only work if it were for a whole computer.
    I suppose it'd be effective at ridding of viruses too.

~Duff
  • yeah, we have that at school...