XP...Bandwidth.... QoS

edited May 2005 in Software
Alright, now I have heard that disabling or changing the QoS service won't change anything (as there are no QoS programs that I use...)

<[madoka]server> ok heres how
<[madoka]server> Click Start-->Run-->type "gpedit.msc" without the "
<[madoka]server> This opens the group policy editor. Then go to:
<[madoka]server> Local Computer Policy-->Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->Network-->QOS Packet Scheduler-->Limit Reservable Bandwidth
<[madoka]server> Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain' tab :
<[madoka]server> "By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default."
<[madoka]server> So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%.

So tell me, is this person just a moron?

Comments

• I dunno, but I've also heard taht disabling the QoS scheduler does speed up network performance.
  • Yeah, I heard disabling it does too, but I remember Tomchu making a point that QoS does nothing...unless you have QoS programs.. Reminds me of another pointless microsoft thing... HIMAT. Anyone see a DVD player that recognizes HIMAT CD/DVD?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I believe you... Tomchu, the moron said he knew how to do registry tweaks to speed up your uploads dramatically too. While sure you could play with a few settings for better preformance... Your still bound to the upload speed your ISP set for you. (at least for my cable anyways, DSL may be a bit more variable)
  • Tomchu wrote:
    It's a fucking urban myth. It does absolutely nothing. Go test it for yourself if you don't believe me.

I've been wondering if thats true, I always disable it just because I cant see myself using it, but I've never noticed anything different from it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.