How to get Windows 98 on 8MB RAM

edited May 2005 in Software
I have done this before, but dont remember, anyways, I hacve this REALLY old laptop with 8MB RAM, and I want to install Windows 98 on it. WLast time, the web integration bogged me down, but now am using 98Lite, anyways, anybody have a suggestion?

Comments

• Why do you need that? 98 works not very fast even on 16Mb! Get 95!

But if you are sure and still need it, here's the answer. Run SETUP.EXE /NM
  • Thanks Slash, let me try it, and because Windows 98, well, I want to get my Pentium 1 Laptop (processor is at 75Mhz) with 8MB RAM with all its hardware found, I also want it to go on the internet when I get DSL..
  • With Win98 on that thing it will feel like you still have dial-up lol. Hell Win95 runs a bit slow with 8MBs and 75MHz core.
  • Actually Windows 95 ran prety fast on that laptop :|
  • Win95a, win95b or win95c?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • i think he ment that if would take the laptop too long to display pages... so it'd feel like he still had dial-up.........

anyways what kind of wierd thining? i mean 98's memory mangment is very poor..... you can go online with 95 and do whatever it is you need to do with 95...... you could even try NT 4 but i've had bad luck on 16 MB of RAM so......
  • Tom, slower cacheing, slower frame rate, etc etc etc... It's not Dial-up networking that is going to baud down. The whole system it self will struggle.
  • NT4 needs 16MB minimum. 32MB leaved the system swapping alot. NT 3.51 needs 8MB minimum, but seems to run OK with 16MB. I'm going to bet that 8MB isn't going to make it any faster.

Personally, I wouldn't try Windows 98 on 8MB of RAM. Windows 95 is going to be about the max unless you want some insane swappage.
  • I've had NT4 run on 8MB once. It was crap crap crap. Funny how you needed double the resources to play say command and conquor when you could play it with the bare specs for it. I think CC only needed 75MHz and 8MBs of ram to play in win95 and needed 90MHz with 16MB of ram to play.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • You mean NT needing more resources than 95?

That's just becuase NT uses more RAM than 95.

You can use it on 8MB in 95 becuase you would have more RAM free.

for NT4 You would have less free, requiring you to add more RAM to play it more smoothly becuase you could have less free.
  • Yes I know but at the time most computers didn't really have 16MBs or higher of ram. hell I didn't go up to 64MB untill of middle of 1998. 128MB ram was avaible but was like 300 bucks and 64MB PC100 SDRAM was around 100 to 150 bucks a pop. Some werid reason PC66 SDRAM modules cost more.
  • i remember my sister complaingin about ram when she bought some for her laptop but i was sucha n00b back then i couldn't tell you any details....... i know she bought desktop RAM instead
  • I have once tried Win98 on 4Mb in safe mode.
    But I don't advice you to do so!
  • It runsvery smooth, it is a little slow on startup, but runs smooth. I am using the Windows 95 shell, and am going to install my PCMCIA NIC (which windows will not detect.. Grrr!) And MS Office 4.5 or 95... But I do have 80MB left on the Hard drive, and will free up ~150MB by deleting the 98 files 98lite copied for me...
  • Have you considered installing Dos 7.1 & installing the mini-win98 on top,
    I think they'd both run on 4mb of ram & 30mb of hard-drive no-probs..
    Here's the download page for both.
    P.S. The mini-win98 needs to be installed whilst dos7.1 is being installed
    as it asks do you have any add-ons during the installation..
    http://newdos.yginfo.net/msdos71/index.htm
  • There is an app called Calmira(www.calmira.net) that can turn Windows 3.1x, which is on floppies, on WinWorld(not right now) into a Win98-like system. I think it's free too.
  • All it does is give you a task bar.
  • Little more than that.
  • desktop icons, taskbar, explorer-like file manager, quick launch...

it was ok back when i had 3.1 and nothing else....