Windows 2000 volume naming

edited December 2017 in Software

Just glancing at the Windows 2000 downloads, it looks like they need some cleanup, so I have been trying to figure out how to properly identify them.

First, some of the files have a "build number" tacked on to them instead of indicating the proper service pack level, so here is a translation: Build number notes: 5.00.2195 or 5.00.2195.1=no SP, 5.00.2195.1620=SP1, 5.00.2195.2951=SP2, 5.00.2195.5438=SP3, 5.00.2195.6717=SP4.

In addition to that, Windows 2000 ISOs are normally given a volume label that describes the contents, but it is a little cryptic. (it may not always follow this pattern and some OEMs did not follow it)

Some example ISO names are:

W2PFPP_EN - Windows 2000 Professional (MSDN)
W2PIS_EN - Windows 2000 Professional "standard"
W2AFPP_EN - Windows 20000 Advanced Server (MSDN)
SP2POEM_PT - Windows 2000 Professional SP2 Portuguese
YRMPOEM_EN - Windows 2000 Professional SP3
ZRMPFPP_EN - Windows 2000 Professional SP4

So what does this mean?

The first part is the product and service pack level.

W2 - No service pack
SP1 - Service Pack 1
SP2 - Service Pack 2
YRM - Service Pack 3
ZRM - Service Pack 4 (Does YRM/ZRM stand for something?)

The following letter indicates the distribution type:

P - Professional
S - Server
A - Advanced Server
D - Datacenter

Next is the license type:

IS - Standard (CD-only with no packaging?) (Why does this differ from FPP?)
FPP - Full Packaged Product (Retail Version) (Also on MSDN ISOs)
OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer
SEL - Select (License for 250 or more PCs)
CCP - Upgrade (Compliance Checking Program)

In general, license keys for one type will not work for another.

Finally, this is all followed by a language abbreviation, such as _EN, or _PT

This fairly well identifies the contents of the CD. Although I am still a little vague on the usage of the "IS" identifier. Comparing it to an FPP, the only differences involved license data. Since Windows 2000 did a good job of unifying everything in to one set of binaries, it is hard to tell if it does anything different.

Eventually whenever we get automatic mirror syncing in place, I may update and correct some of the file names instead of just the Download names.

Other relevant abbreviations, some of which might also appear in CD volume labels:
CCP - Compliance Checking Program (Upgrade Version)
CHK - Checked Build
EVL - Evaluation Version
FPP - Full Packaged Product (Retail Version)
MPC - Microsoft Product Code
OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer
PID - Product ID
RTM - Release To Manufacturing
SEL - Select (License for 250 or more PCs)
SLP - System-Locked Pre-installation
VLK - Volume License (Product) Key
VOL - Volume (License)
WPA - Windows Product Activation
EVL = Evaluation Software

More info: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=269

If anyone has any additional information, please add it here!

Comments

• What exactly is MPC, PID, SLP, and WPA? Also, what is a "checked" build?

(this may not be correct etiquette, but... I sent you a PM with links to things I would like to contribute, did you receive it successfully?)

• A "checked" build is a debugging build. They call it "checked" because compiled code contains things like extra range checking and sanity checking.

Similarly a "free" build is a normal build that omits checks for performance and size reasons.

You see those terms more with NT 4.

• I should add, the volume label does not denote platform. Although W2K eliminated the Alpha CPU platform, there is still a Japanese PC-98 platform, and both retail CDs have the label W2PFPP_JA.

• I was wondering of why the Win2000 ISO I got from here had those odd combination of letters. Now, I've got my answer. Thanks for sharing this ;)