windows 98se programs won't open

After i installed the compaq keyboard drivers for volume control ect. When i restarted it and i click on a program it won't start up. I just get a hour glass for a few seconds then nothing. The only programs will startup if click on it the ones in the task bar in the bottom right corner. But if in run msconfig and unchecked them from starting up and restart the computer. Then everything work fine. Does anybody have a idea what could be causing this? I ran a antivirus and malware scan and found nothing. I even ran scandisk from a bootable floppy disk and the disk it good to. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• I don't know specifically, but it sounds like a good old fashion software conflict. Keyboards from the late 90s early 00s were nuts. You know, everyone MUST want to just press a special button on their Internet Enabled keyboard to immediately take them to a sponsored shopping web site.

Hmm, 98se already has IE 5, but you might try installing IE 6. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it some brain-dead integration crap like that.

• I have ie6 installed already with all the updates for windows 98se. I even installed net framework 1.1 and 2.0 and installed the last version of directX for it too. i installed kernelEx on it too. I know the date on the keyboard it from 2001 on the sticker. The keyboard came from a 2002 compaq computer i have in storage and i using it on a 1999 slot 1 computer. The motherboard is a asus P2B. I was thinking it mine be because i not using a compaq computer with the keyboard and compaq uses some weird irq for there internet keyboards with there software. I may have to see if i got other keyboard with volume control on it.