Windows Vista on a VM...

It's been reported that Windows ME runs smoothly on a VM in contrast to it on real hardware (because OEMs were lazy and that ME itself was just a quick hack-job by Microsoft) but now I want to ask... is this the same for Vista too?

I'd also ask this as from personal experience, Vista ran very poorly for me last time on both VPC and VirtualBox and this was where I had seen that the CPU had always maxed out and there was nothing I can do about it, so I had to put up with it being the unstable trainwreck of an OS that it was. Just want to ask this question to confirm this with you all.

Comments

• I was running Vista on low-to-mid range hardware of the time (Pentium D, 1 GB of DDR2) when new and it was perfectly fine. I really don't see what problems people had with it once you removed incompetent OEMs/driver developers and bad legacy apps from the picture.

Keep in mind Vista really likes hardware acceleration. Keeping it on Aero (maybe with transparency off) with a decent GPU helps a lot.

• In a way, don't run Vista on VPC or QEMU. I tried running it on these and they were running pretty horribly (Direct3D didn't work so all games except Inkball were unplayable, very slow but slightly stable when compared to 408x longhorn, etc.) VMWare works best for Vista.

• @calvinb said:
    Keep in mind Vista really likes hardware acceleration. Keeping it on Aero (maybe with transparency off) with a decent GPU helps a lot.

I forgot to mention... I had Aero off though it was disabled by default when I only had 2GB memory. Even so, the CPU consumption happened anyway :\

• I have a Vista 32bit Virtual Box (2 GB) setup which works reasonably well. Just need that service pack for Vista to get performance up though many of the bugs in Vista won't exactly apply in a VM. How often is someone going to do heavy file transfers and play music in the same Vista VM?