Why I don't trust the NSA

QQ
edited July 2004 in Software
The IP Security policy for ISAKMP/Oakley specified an encryption algorithm that is invalid due to export cryptography restrictions. All 3DES encryption used by ISAKMP/Oakley is weakened to standard DES encyption. Generally, this is benign. ISAKMP/Oakley will still be able to negotiate IP security parameters, and protect that negotiation with DES encryption. This should only be of concern if you demand that the ISAKMP/Oakley negotiation be protected with 3DES encryption.

Yea...

-Q

Comments

• NSA?
  • errr........NASA?
  • National Security Agency
    They were very dangerous and probably still are.
    They have the right to kill people. I can't think of
    the name of the guy that had the big public trial
    right now but that was during the Nixon investigation.
    Thump
  • WoW.

The right to kill people? This government is wacked out.

Its like Area 51, if you walk in there, there will shoot you with trancilisers and stick you in out in the desset or so I heard. I dont really belive that.

But they tore a guys house apart just becuase he took satelite photos of it
  • I think I saw a movie about Watergate and some of this stuff.
  • I read a book about the NSA called Digital Fortress.......

Anyways, do they have to confirm with the judical system before killing someone?
  • I don't know about the killing stuff, but for YEARS everyone denied their existance (NSA stood for 'No Such Agency' as they said) despite the fact that there's a freeway exit in (I think) Virginia that says "NSA Employees ONLY".

They were responsible for the ill fated, ill advised attempts to outlaw strong crypto and the infamous "Clipper Initaitive".

-Q
  • Hmm.... In this move, they like went into some hut or something and killed someone. It was an older movie and it was dark.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Headquarters for the National Security Agency is at Fort George G. Meade, Maryland, approximately ten miles northwest of Washington, DC. NSA has its own exit off of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway, labelled "NSA Employees Only". The scale of all these effort at NSA is hard to determine from unclassified data, but one clue is the electricity usage of NSA's headquarters. NSA's budget for electricity exceeds $21 million per year, making it the second largest electricity consumer in the entire State of Maryland.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA

Alas, the infmaous sign:
    nsasign.jpg
  • Whats the deal with the furby?
  • edited July 2004
    No idea, I googled for something like NSA Employees ONLY in Google Image, and that was the only result.
  • LOL, what if you drive down the road....
  • Prbly shoot you or something.

There's a road like that my Naval Weapons Station Earle in NJ.

It's like some great short cut from point A to B, but says military personnel only or something.
  • Area 51 has these things hidden around in the field around the base that detect movement
  • They also employ the most PhDs or something I think...

-Q
  • Yea.

-Q
  • Hmm.... wouldn't think you'd need PhD's to kill people...
  • They're really the people who are incharge to making and breaking crypto codes. They seem to have a hard time understanding that these days they're pretty much obsolete.

-Q
  • When I was younger, I remember driving down a highway, and I saw this sign from a distance, but we quickly turned around I think because my parents thought they killed people??
  • Well, they kind of do. But, this just says not to turn off.

Suprised I didn't see this when I went to Baltimore last summer. Must have taken a different highway.
  • Oliver North was the guy I was trying to remember.
    He was with NSA. No they don't have to go to anybody
    to ask to kill someone. It can just be a snap decision.
    Most of us are pretty safe but it does seem odd that we
    have an agency with such powers. It's all hush hush.
    Thump
  • All this killing stuff is kinda like the fine print of the Bill Of Rights. lol
  • The Cold War doesn't seem to be over in a certain part of Maryland...

-Q
  • Quite scary, really.
  • And they actually had the gall to try and outlaw all encryption that couldn't be cracked by them!

-Q
  • Wow, that must be some work, But arent there over 1500+ encryption types?
  • But all encryption is measued in bits, 40bits, 56bits, 128bits (Current Standard). I think they tried to force everything to either 40 or 56 bits, I don't know exacly...

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    But all encryption is measued in bits, 40bits, 56bits, 128bits (Current Standard). I think they tried to force everything to either 40 or 56 bits, I don't know exacly...

-Q

sorry, i meant algorithms, over 1500 algorithms