help for setting up a server

edited July 2004 in Software
ok, for the time being what will be my server is in pieces in my room... i hope to get it up and running soon. but until such time as i do i would like to take this time to learn all about servers... don't mean to sound newbieish but i know virtualy nothing about running a server.

ok here's the things i want to learn about:

1) phpBB... i want to be able to host forums (not that i don't enjoy this one)

2) i need to learn how to put my server on the net i.e. apache or abyss

um those are it for now... i think i got everything else covered.

the planed specs for server:
AMD k6 II @ 300mhz
512mb or higher ram
hdd 1) 30gb
hdd 2) 10gb
windows 2000

any comments are apreicated... no newbie coments tho lets keep it clean.

Comments

• Well, to get AWS up and running...ask Fish.

-Q
  • Abyss is quite simple, install, then go to the concole

127.0.0.1:9999 andt setup some shit like the port if your ISP blocks port 80.

The defauly root folder is c:\program files\abyss\htdocs\

You can also change it
  • I don't know if you really need that much RAM, if it could be better used elsewhere.
  • edited July 2004
    She doesnt have the RAM yet

You'd be better off with like 256Mb, SDR isnt that cheap
  • does or doesn't?
  • Doesnt.

anyway, shes still gotta build the server and get parts.

Right now its a mainboard and processor only. And I think a NIC, but thats in here Dell becuase the Dell integerated one doesnt work.

still got yet to get a :

Hard disks
    Case
    Memory
    CPU Fan/Heatsink
    Video Card
    Windows 2000
  • Damn... glad I have a lot of spare parts laying around.
  • Doesnt.

anyway, shes still gotta build the server and get parts.

Right now its a mainboard and processor only. And I think a NIC, but thats in here Dell becuase the Dell integerated one doesnt work.

still got yet to get a :

Hard disks
    Case
    Memory
    CPU Fan/Heatsink
    Video Card
    Windows 2000

ok yes true but look closer at my post, where i stated that i didn't have it done yet, as was taking this time to learn and i already have the cpu fan/heatsink.....

also this dell's NIC works now as per your advice... didn't i tell you that :?
    Damn... glad I have a lot of spare parts laying around.

i have barley any, my brother in law is helping me get some of the parts i still need.
  • Well, as long as you've got a connection, that's good.

Now how much RAM?
  • Well, as long as you've got a connection, that's good.

Now how much RAM?

huh? that i want? details please
  • OK i would recommend that you would go with Abyss cuz its good for 1stimers.

You will need to download the following things:

Abyss (do a google for the url)
    PHP (www.php.net)
    MySQL
    MySQL Control Center
    MySQL Administrator (all 3 available at www.mysql.com)
    phpBB from www.phpbb.com

You will also need to sign up for a dynamic dns account at www.no-ip.com and u need to dl their ip updater at their site.

1st setup php. DL and run the windows installer and your good.

Ok, install abyss, thats pretty simple. Then go into the console after you have installed it. Go into Server Configuration and press Advanced, and go into CGI parameters.

Set CGI processing enabled to yes if it aint allready there.

Then press Add in the CGI interpreters table. In the interperter path field, enter the path c:\php.exe.
    Enter PHP in the assoicated extentions field, and set Automatic update of the cgi paths to yes, and click ok.

Then press Add in the User CGI enviroments table. Enter "REDIRECT_STATUS" without the quores in the name field and 200 in the value field and click ok.

Press OK in the CGI parameters dialog.

Then select server paramters

Press ADD in the Indel files table.

Enter index.php in the index file field and press ok.

Then press restart to restart the server. Abyss is configured.

Now to configure MySQL

Install the MySQL. After you have installed MySQL open up a command window and goto c:\mysql\bin

we need to set a root password. NEVER EVER HAVE ROOT WITHOUT A PASSWORD.

Were gonna use winboards as our root password but please change it to something different, more secure and somethin g you will remember. If you loose your root password you are screwed.

in the command window type:

mysqladmin -u root password winboards

replacing winboards with your password. do not use spaces in your password.

restart your system.

Now install the mysql control center and the mysql administrator.

After you installed both open up the MySQL administrator (also called MySQL CC)

It will bring up a dialog to create a connection, enter a name for the connection, localhost for the host name, root for the username, and your password. leave everything else at the default and click add. ([a="http://tophernet.servehttp.com/mysqlcc.jpg"]screenshot[/a])

After your db connects you will see a databases folder. Right click on databases and goto add database. enter in phpbb for the name and click ok.

Exit out of MySQLcc and open up MySQL administrator.

In MySQL Admin you will see user administrator. open up that and at the list box at the bottom you will see users like root. right click on the white area of that box and goto add user. type in phpbb and hit enter.

highlight the user, and enter in a password and repeat it in the password boxes to your right.

Right click that user, and goto hosts that user can connect from. type in localhost and hit enter.

highlight the user and goto schema privilages (in the tabs at the top right. find your phpbb database in the left box and highlight it, and find the << button and click it. All items from the right box should of gone to the middle box.

MySQL is set up.

Now you gotta setup your no-ip account, im not gonna go into detail but basicly u need to setup an account on their webpage, sign up for free service, and pick a name from their domains.

DL their client and set it up, enter in your account data and your domains will come up on screen. throw him down to the systray.

now go into the directory abyss is set up in and then go into htdocs. create a folder called forum. Keep that window open but open up your phpbb zip file. extract everything into that newly created folder called forum.

now goto http://(your no-ip domain)/forum and you will get the phpbb startup screen. For board language select english, select mysql 4.x for database type, and select install. For database server put in localhost, for database name put phpbb, for database username put phpbb, and for password put in the password that u use for that phpbb user you created (not the root password)

for prefix for tables leave that as it is.

for admin email put in your email address, for domain put in your no-ip domain (without http://), for script path leave that at /forum/, for admin username put in your desired username, and put in a password of your choice and confirm it. click start install and follow the instructions on screen.

im not gonna go into the rest of the phpbb install ask someone else how to do that cuz my hands are tired.

if you need any more help or if you didnt understand some of this just post about it.

anyone else see a point where i messed up in this article please correct me.

man that was a longass article.
  • Note: phpBB will *NOT* install without a passwd.

Other then that, just phpBB tags ([ url ], not [ a ]) and spelling.

-Q
  • BlueSun wrote:

also this dell's NIC works now as per your advice... didn't i tell you that :?

[

What advice?

I think I told you to just let Windows make a TCP/IP connection, set it to a st atic IP address and dont fuck with it
  • BlueSun wrote:
    Well, as long as you've got a connection, that's good.

Now how much RAM?

huh? that i want? details please

You had said you wanted 512 or more but didn't have it yet. I suggested less, what are you seeking for amount of RAM now?
  • SDR isnt that bad on eBay, like $20 for a stick of 128Mb with shipping
  • Considering she wants 512, and I don't know how many slots her mobo has, at most 4, which still leaves no room for expansion.
  • if she uses 64Mb sticks, thats 256Mb @ 4 sticks
  • if she uses 64Mb sticks, thats 256Mb @ 4 sticks

and that should be enough for a server, and i think only simm slots came in 4 slots, ive never seen a mobo with 4 dimm slots.
  • 512mb is probably a bit much, i have 3 slots on the mother board, and IBM your advice (a while ago) was to reinstall the NIC and that worked
  • edited July 2004
    I think there are boards for SDRAM with 4 slots, not sure.

And she said she wants 512, which I have no real idea why, but if this is going to be a long-term server, it may be better to just spring for 1 512 or 2 256's now.

EDIT: Same time, BlueSun!
  • I got 1 with 3, that doesnt mean that there wenrnt any with 4 :-P

Its just becuase back then, 1 stick could fill a PC and still true today.

I got a mainboard that has like 12 SIMM slots. I filled it up and got me 112Mb
  • alright thanks very much, i'll let ya know if i have any probs with this, but as stated before it'll be a while before my server is up and running, right now i'm gonna donwload everything so it'll all be ready... it'll take some time as i'm on dail up right now
  • Argh, enjoy!