Weird filename extension of download

It sees strange that Microsoft Windows Vista ("Longhorn") has the filename extension *.7z_. When I try to extract it with 7-Zip, it doesn't seem to work. What do I do?

Comments

• This is an issue with classic DOS extensions, which are required to be 3 characters long. Some download software apparently requires this too and so adds the _ at the end. You should be able to simply rename the file to .7z and then extract it with 7-Zip.

• Same issue here. renaming it to .7z doesn't let me extract either. Downloads are officially broken.

• edited November 2018

Take in mind that if you have a 64 bit OS, that might be the problem. Try installing 32 bit 7-zip: https://www.7-zip.org/a/7z1805.exe
    After that, extract the renamed file with 32 bit 7-zip (Don't use the 64 bit 7-zip)

Also, officially? Did Duff or calvinb or SomeGuy said that the downloads are broken? You can't say it's official unless a staff says that the downloads are broken

• edited November 2018

@RetroMacUser1999 said:
    Same issue here. renaming it to .7z doesn't let me extract either. Downloads are officially broken.

The downloads are fine. You computer is officially broken.

I don't see why a 32-bit VS 64-bit 7zip would make any difference unless their 64-bit versions are insanely f-ed up somehow. But if that does make a difference, please report your results here. (Now that I think of it, if you have a download accelerator or something installed, simply re-installing any official 7zip may fix file associations)

• edited December 2018

@Kaa-kun said:
    It sees strange that Microsoft Windows Vista ("Longhorn") has the filename extension *.7z_. When I try to extract it with 7-Zip, it doesn't seem to work. What do I do?

If it asked you how do you want to open this file, if 7-Zip isn't on there, hit look for another app on this PC, and find the 7-Zip exe file. It should open. Also how I extracted the DOS 7.7z_ file.