Games for Windows Vista

edited December 4 in Video Games

I have a bunch of Windows Vista VM's (i use virtualbox because it's free) and I'm wondering what games support it.
The only game I can run is a education game called Timez Attack.
Any others?
Also, how do I capture the game footage? (don't suggest recording the host machine because that's cheating)

Comments

  • On a virtual machine, you're probably going to be limited to 2D games (maybe some early 3D games) because the graphics acceleration isn't that great when it comes to gaming. Have you looked at the games that come preloaded with Vista? There should be some nostalgic ones that are worth revisiting.

    As for capturing gameplay footage: Something somewhere along the lines of FRAPS should do the job.

  • I wouldn't try to play many games in a virtual machine, especially VirtualBox.

  • I think it could be possible to play games in virtual machines, but probably not 3D games, because like KCompRoom2000 said, the graphics would probably be crappy, but maybe try using VirtualBox Guest Additions, because that usually enhances a lot of things, such as graphics, display quality, etc. I'm sure there are a lot of games you can find that could be compatible with Vista, most likely 2D games. And for screen recording, I doubt you would be able to screencast inside a VM, well, maybe you can, but it probably won't be possible to transfer your video file from your VM to your host, unless you use one of the USB port features in VirtualBox.

  • Doesn't VirtualBox have a record guest feature? Assuming it does, I would use that.

  • @ubuntuxp said:
    Doesn't VirtualBox have a record guest feature? Assuming it does, I would use that.

    It does, but you'd still have the issue of poor performance within the VM.

  • @KCompRoom2000 said:
    On a virtual machine, you're probably going to be limited to 2D games (maybe some early 3D games) because the graphics acceleration isn't that great when it comes to gaming. Have you looked at the games that come preloaded with Vista? There should be some nostalgic ones that are worth revisiting.

    As for capturing gameplay footage: Something somewhere along the lines of FRAPS should do the job.

    They worked, but I have to enable 2D acc and install guest additions. They are a time killer!

    @ubuntuxp said:
    Doesn't VirtualBox have a record guest feature? Assuming it does, I would use that.

    It does, but I'm pretty sure that it only works with 4:3. I could use OBS on the host machine and capture the virtual machine, but that's cheating.

    @JonathonWyble said:
    I think it could be possible to play games in virtual machines, but probably not 3D >games, because like KCompRoom2000 said, the graphics would probably be crappy, >but maybe try using VirtualBox Guest Additions, because that usually enhances a lot of >things, such as graphics, display quality, etc. I'm sure there are a lot of games you can >find that could be compatible with Vista, most likely 2D games. And for screen >recording, I doubt you would be able to screencast inside a VM, well, maybe you can, >but it probably won't be possible to transfer your video file from your VM to your host, >unless you use one of the USB port features in VirtualBox.

    You can play games, and yes, I use Guest Additions. Also, the only screen recorder I could use is Fraps, but that's limited to 15 seconds. Also, you could transfer it to your computer with shared folders.
    And also, Timez Attack is a 3D game.

  • @HontNog said:
    It does, but I'm pretty sure that it only works with 4:3. I could use OBS on the host machine and capture the virtual machine, but that's cheating.

    How is it cheating and why does that matter?

  • @BlueSun said:

    @HontNog said:
    It does, but I'm pretty sure that it only works with 4:3. I could use OBS on the host machine and capture the virtual machine, but that's cheating.

    How is it cheating and why does that matter?

    It's cheating because I'm using the real machine to capture the virtual machine, and it matters because I don't like cheating. Unless you call shared folders cheating.

  • 3D acceleration is hit and miss in virtualizers. There will be some games that work, but some like the Sims 2/3 which are very picky about actual graphics hardware that will probably balk at VMs (Sims 2 on Windows 2000 Advanced Server in VMWare, weird graphical glitches).

  • @HontNog said:

    @BlueSun said:

    @HontNog said:
    It does, but I'm pretty sure that it only works with 4:3. I could use OBS on the host machine and capture the virtual machine, but that's cheating.

    How is it cheating and why does that matter?

    It's cheating because I'm using the real machine to capture the virtual machine, and it matters because I don't like cheating. Unless you call shared folders cheating.

    I don't consider any of it cheating. If your goal is to capture the screen of the VM, I don't see why it matters if you use the host PC or not.

  • @BlueSun said:

    @HontNog said:

    @BlueSun said:

    @HontNog said:
    It does, but I'm pretty sure that it only works with 4:3. I could use OBS on the host machine and capture the virtual machine, but that's cheating.

    How is it cheating and why does that matter?

    It's cheating because I'm using the real machine to capture the virtual machine, and > > it matters because I don't like cheating. Unless you call shared folders cheating.

    I don't consider any of it cheating. If your goal is to capture the screen of the VM, I > don't see why it matters if you use the host PC or not.

    I consider it cheating, but people have thoughts, and let's just not get into a flame war.

  • It's not a flame war, I was just genuinely wondering what about it was cheating.

Sign In or Register to comment.