Some advice needed - clean install of Windows 95 on a Toshiba 100CS

Hello, I have acquired a Toshiba 100CS Notebook. I have blown the dust off it and powered it up, it looks like someone has installed Windows 98 SE on it, quite badly at that. The display and other components don't have the correct drivers installed so its running rough. I want to wipe it and put a clean installation of Windows 95 which it was built for.

I have not done this since I was a teenager when floppy disks were still in use! I have managed to get most of the original toshiba drivers needed for windows 95 and I have downloaded the Windows 95 RTM (3.5-1.44mb) floppy image pack from the Library.

Now.. the Netbook doesn't have a cd-rom or USB ports, only a 3.5" floppy drive and i only have a few spare floppy disks, I also dont have a hdd caddy that fits this hdd, so at the moment im unsure how to carry out the clean install. My questions are:

1. If I remember correctly (note..this might have been with windows 98, i cant be sure) you could drop the setup files directly on the hard drive in the machine and launch setup.exe directly with use of a Win98 boot disk. Is that right?

2. I do have an iomega ZIP 100 external drive that uses the old parallel printer port (i have a usb converter so I can use it with modern laptops too) so, using the parallel port, would CMOS detect it? If so would windows setup boot from this? if not can I use it somehow to transfer the setup files from the zip drive to the hard drive?

Many thanks in advance!
Dan

Comments

• Yes you can copy the setup files to the HDD and boot with a Windows 95/98 boot disk.

It's the preferred way for Windows 95 to be installed due to the typical failure to load CD-ROM drivers on first boot.

If you can load DOS ZIP drivers onto the boot disk it should be recognized as well and you'd be able to copy that way. I'm not sure about booting though.