Dose anyone remember limewire?

Dose anyone remember limewire? I mean it was a great program i have it on my XP PC but I dont open it

So ..... any stories about it?

Comments

• edited February 2019

Yes. Several years ago, an injunction was served against it that blocked the most recent versions from functioning, though I think older ones continued to work for sometime.

Many people in my family would use this or Kazaa to download music. Of course, they came with lots of crapware like the ask and mywebsearch toolbars.

Americans had to be quite cautious about downloading copyrighted media content because they faced lawsuits from industry associations (read: Congress corruptors) like the RIAA which essentially invoiced them thousands of dollars per song downloaded.

However, nothing of the sort happened in Canada, where our recording industry association charged (and still does I think) a levy on all recordable media to make up for the alleged costs of piracy.

• Didn't use Limewire specifically. Used Frostwire instead. Was pretty much the same thing, but it didn't last long as I ended up slapping my public library with a notice.

• @win32 said:
    Americans had to be quite cautious about downloading copyrighted media content because they faced lawsuits from industry associations (read: Congress corruptors) like the RIAA which essentially invoiced them thousands of dollars per song downloaded.

Here in Germany it's the same. I know a few people that get sued. It usually ends with a fine between 250€ and 2500€ (which is almost the same in US-$) + the cost of the court which can be another 2500€. Usually people get a small fine when they get caught the first time. If they get caught another time police takes EVERYTHING that has to do with computers. They won't leave a single keyboard in your house...

I also used limewire a lot, I liked it for being "amazingly fast" - whatever this means. My internet connection back then was able to transfer 125kb/s. It was much faster than most emule downloads, so I used limewire.

Surprisingly I never got busted - I downloaded so much "hot and new stuff"...

IIRC this was ~15 years ago.

• Yes, I remember Limewire, until it suddenly stopped working for me one day. Wasn't bothered though, as I didn't use it as much. Only used it to discover new music before it was possible to do on YouTube :D

• Yes, I remember limewire. And MyNapster... and Kazaa... Oh the dark times before torrenting. Spending hours/days downloading crap quality copies of music and maybe a few TV shows if you were lucky.

• Heh, who remembers Limewire Pro? They wanted to charge you for faster downloads and all that... I ended up using Limewire to download Limewire Pro for free :D

• @nick99nack said:
    Heh, who remembers Limewire Pro? They wanted to charge you for faster downloads and all that... I ended up using Limewire to download Limewire Pro for free :D

Well i do :smile: and my dad

I

have

no

idea

what

I

am

doing