Converting Video Files

Does anyone know how I might be able to convert an mp4 file into something that Windows Media Player 6.4 can play? There are so many programs and formats out there - I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Comments

• That’s a rabbit hole I’ve been down many times in the past. These days, handbrake suites my needs. But I don’t believe it’s what you need. ffmpeg would be the next thing I’d try.

But for playing back files in older versions of media player, I would recommend getting a codec pack instead of converting the files. I used to use K-Lite.

• I tried all different versions and settings of HandBrake, and couldn't get that to work. Trying WinFF now. I forgot about those codec packs. Maybe I'll give that a shot next.

• edited May 28

I can recommend you aTube Catcher. This program downloads, converts, records and burns multimedia. It works to convert to many formats, but in its conversion core is a front end for ffmpeg. You can find a little thing called "Profile Editor" which lets you customize the way ffmpeg is launched.

The format you probably need is an old version of AVI (Video for Windows).

• I should point out that mp4 or avi doesn't really tell you anything but the container used for the video. The video and audio codecs contained with that container format are more important to know and understand. Like I said, it's a rabbit hole.

• @BlueSun said:
    I should point out that mp4 or avi doesn't really tell you anything but the container used for the video. The video and audio codecs contained with that container format are more important to know and understand. Like I said, it's a rabbit hole.

That's what I've been trying to figure out. Unfortunately I can't seem to find what audio and video formats the player supports, so what I tried to do is open some known working videos in VLC to see what formats they are. I've gotten a little bit closer I think. Now I'm just trying to see how I can make the quality better.

• @SistemaRayoXP said:
    I can recommend you aTube Catcher. This program downloads, converts, records and burns multimedia. It works to convert to many formats, but in its conversion core is a front end for ffmpeg. You can find a little thing called "Profile Editor" which lets you customize the way ffmpeg is launched.

The format you probably need is an old version of AVI (Video for Windows).

That one looks interesting too. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Media Info Lite is a good tool for identifying the codecs used:

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/mediainfo_lite.html

• edited June 1

I've been testing which codec to use and I've got a working combination of aTube Catcher + Win98SE + WMP 6.4.07.1112

You need to move this file to "%UserName%\Appdata\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\DsNET Corp\aTube Catcher 2.0\Profiles", then run aTube Catcher and got to menu Profiles>Reload profiles.

Next go to the Video Converter tab and in the output profile there should be a new entry called AVI WMP 6.4 (Video for Windows). Select it. Now drag and drop the files you want to convert (or click the add button).

The converted files should be in the save location (Save To: [ Path ] ) (Which by default is the user Videos folder, but you can change that). Now you can play these files in your Win9x machine (Considering that it has WMP 6.4 installed)

Edit: Note that the conversion was made in WinVista, because aTube Catcher doesn't run in Win9x (Only XP and beyond)