PC-DOS 7.x

edited July 2 in Product Comments

PC-DOS 7.x

WinWorld is an online museum dedicated to providing free and open access to one of the largest archives of abandonware software and information on the web.

Read the full story here

Comments

• I cannot speak for the other language versions, but, with the first archive, showing the English set, It is possible to install this in a VMWare virtual machine.

The archiver of this set used the "savedskf" command to save an image of disk 1. The problem is that savedskf compresses the image and adds some information to the beginning of the file. The disk can be stored byte-for-byte, without compression, by using savedskf with the /a and /d option. Although the remaining disks are in xdf format, they were stored with the "xdfcopy" command, and this saved all the data correctly. VMWare Player 15 (and probably some earlier versions) had no trouble showing the various "bundles" containing the DOS files. Setup didn't complain and everything was unpacked and set up correctly, once disk 1 had been converted into a byte-for-byte copy.

I saved my copy of PC DOS 7.0 in the same way I mentioned above and I was also able to set it up with VMWare Player successfully. I had no idea it would work, but, it did.

Even though it will read those xdf disks as straight images, VMWare Player cannot create xdf images.

Hope this is useful.