Novell Netware

I've been too busy to do another spotlight lately, but there is a very informative look back at Novell Netware on SoylentNews today:

https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=20/05/24/0644226

Comments

• That was definitely an interesting read. Thanks for sharing that.

• Yeah, definitely interesting and more in depth than I was expecting.

Novell was one of those things I really wanted to learn, because I saw it used at school. But by the time I really started getting into computers, it was dead and the world moved on to active directory.

I have it running in a test VM now and I have to say it is really unintuitive and doesn't work at all the way that I'd expect. I did manage to get a share created and mounted on login, but it was a struggle. It seems rather stupid that it still requires a local account even if you're logging on with a network account. This was fine back in the 9x days, but really doesn't cut the mustard now.

• @BlueSun said:
    Yeah, definitely interesting and more in depth than I was expecting.

Novell was one of those things I really wanted to learn, because I saw it used at school. But by the time I really started getting into computers, it was dead and the world moved on to active directory.

I have it running in a test VM now and I have to say it is really unintuitive and doesn't work at all the way that I'd expect. I did manage to get a share created and mounted on login, but it was a struggle. It seems rather stupid that it still requires a local account even if you're logging on with a network account. This was fine back in the 9x days, but really doesn't cut the mustard now.

Same here. My local school system used a Novell based system with Windows XP clients all the way until 2013 when they migrated to Windows 7 Enterprise clients with Active Directory. They're still using that system now, and have only recently begun the process of upgrading the clients to Windows 10. I do some work with them sometimes at the local high school, and they have a good mix of Windows 7 and 10 currently.

• edited June 2020

I learned NetWare at one time, but I think I've forgotten most of it. It worked very well at the time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file