E-mail on older systems

edited June 28 in Software

Lately, I've been trying to get my AOL e-mail working again on my older machines. After much searching, I found an application called stunnel, which is basically a local e-mail proxy server that allows you to connect to SSL-based IMAP or POP3 e-mail providers using a non-SSL-aware client.

The main website for it is here: https://stunnel.org/

Unfortunately, it seems they've discontinued win32 binaries, opting for 64-bit only. However, there is a user-provided binary for 32-bit Windows which can be found here: https://github.com/josealf/stunnel-win32

And here's a screenshot of Netscape 4.79's e-mail client, working again for the first time since AOL discontinued basic IMAP support a few years ago:
">

Edit: Upon reading further, this is not just for e-mail - it works for many protocols, which means it should be possible to use it for WinWorld's r-type IRC. I'll update this again after some more experiments.

Comments

• Very nice. Thanks for mentioning this. I've had to jump through some hoops to get my preferred e-mail client to work. There are some things, especially involving searching, you just can't do or do easily with webby mail.

• edited June 29

Well, it works for IRC too! I moved stunnel to one of my servers, so I can access it from any machine on the network at any time.

And here's the relevant parts of my stunnel.conf file for anyone looking to duplicate this at home:

[aol-imap]
    client = yes
    accept = 143
    connect = imap.aol.com:993
    verifyChain = yes
    CAfile = ca-certs.pem
    checkHost = imap.aol.com
    OCSPaia = yes

[aol-smtp]
    client = yes
    accept = 587
    connect = smtp.aol.com:465