[Offer] Borland Sidekick 1.0a

Here is the image of Borland Sidekick 1.0a in SCP format. Floppy is copy protected, I tested the re-creation of a disk with SCP and it works.

Comments

• Thanks.
    But can you re-dump it again?
    A few of sectors seems to have bad sector except track 6.
  • edited August 2020
    Just glancing at it in the HxC software, the tracks that have decoding errors are unused sectors towards the center of the disk. Not critical, but perhaps a touch up with a damp q-tip might improve things. Looks like all the bits needed to recreate a usable disk are there, but no time to test now.

Thanks very much for sharing this!
  • edited August 2020
    Also can you re-dump it by SCP (Track 00/0 ~ Track 42/1, Splice)?
  • when I open the file with Hxc using "load raw image" then "Load raw file" I don't see any bad sectors. Why is it different ? Sorry I'm not an expert with HxC.
  • edited August 2020
    @callmejack

I converted SCP image to .PSI image by using PCE's tool. (PFI.EXE PRI.EXE PSI.EXE)

The following unused sectors are bad, but no problem to run it.
    Because they're unused sector on program.
    The bad sector can be fixed by using PC-Tools's hex editor or Anadisk.

Track 29 / 1 / 2
    Track 30 / 1 / 2
    Track 33 / 0 / 2

*Track 6 / 0 / 1 includes copy protected sector.

Track 40-41 is Not dumped.

So if you can dump it again from Track 00 / 0 ~ 42 / 1 with Splice mode (Instead of Index mode), I'll appreciate it.

Most of users dumps disks by SCP or Kryoflux with full Tracks (0-41, or 0-83)

• Opening the track analyzer in disk view will show you details graphically. Red areas are decoding errors (they don't always result in sector errors). Orange indicates a sector CRC error. Mousing over the sector shows the contents with errors, and you can see they start with empty sector fill. Notice how track 6 shows a sector as orange, but has no red bits on it - that indicates the bad CRC is intentional and part of the copy protection, not a read error.

The graphical disk view gives you some idea of where the damage is, which makes it a bit easier to physically examine and clean the disk. Of course, be careful if the disk is shedding or dented instead of just dirty.
  • @callmejack

Thanks a lot, now this seems to be good dump.