[Offer] Framework II 1.0

It has probably been used and it is copy protected.
https://we.tl/t-8griMYXNld

Comments

• Wow, thanks very much.

Unfortunately System Disk 1-2 / System Disk 2-2 / Setup 2 / App 2 / Tutorial 1-2 seem to have modified.
    System Disk 2-2 and Tutorial 1-2 can't be fixed (recovered) without original untouched disk.

But your dump is very good and nice.
  • For the 2 disks that can’t be recovered what is the issue ?
  • edited August 2020
    @callmejack

On System Disk 2, FWSETUP is modified.
    I guess the file content and size seem to be changed.
    It can't be restored as original factory default.
  • Took a bit of a look at this disk set. One of the things we look at is if anything was changed. When disks are professionally mastered, the Kryoflux software (HxC can sort of show that too) can show if a sector was re-written after it was mastered.

So looking at these disks:

modified-
    disk 1:
    tracks 0, 3, 7
    copy protected bits changed from normal use

disk 2
    ihc garbage on boot sector (all disks should have "IBM 2.0" OEM string - someone tried to read the disk in a Win9x machine without write protection)
    track 0
    otherwise unmodified

disk 3
    ihc garbage on boot sector
    track 0, 18, 19, 37
    "fwsetup" file changed?

disk 4 - not profesionally mastered
    files look legit.
    stray zero lenght "fwsetup" file.
    It is not abnormal to find a disk in a set that was not professionally mastered, especially if there was a last minute update.

disk 5 - unmodified

disk 6 - unmodified

disk 7 - track 0
    several sample files written, probably from using the tutorial.

disk 8 - unmodified

Also, a quick test on real hardware, just tried running, did not try installing:
    copy works on turbo 10mhz XT w v20
    copy fails with "read error" on 8mhz AT
    copy fails with "unauthorized copy" on 12mhz AT

At any rate, there is not much that can be done about user modified files. I usually clean up boot sectors before making a final dump, but I have lots of experience with that.
  • @SomeGuy thanks very much, it’s very instructive!
  • @SomeGuy Did you use DOS 3.30 on your testing with the AT 8mhz? Mine seems to loads the first disk fine but using IBM DOS 3.30. I cant seem to convert the system_disk2 with HxC to KF raw for writing back to floppies. I get a "incompatible data" error, so I cant continue the loading.
  • Plopped an IBM PC DOS 3.3 boot disk in, and still got the same errors. BTW this is a generic 12mhz clone that runs in (if I recall) 8mhz off of turbo. What kind of machine are you using?

Since yours works, I'll check a few other things when I get a chance and see if perhaps something else is causing the error.

I guess there was some bug writing raw stream files in the HxC software. You either have to use the latest HxC beta, or use an older DTC. (I normally use an older DTC).

• I'm using DTC 3 and HxC 2.10.2.2. IBM is an IBM 5170 (8mhz) booting IBM DOS 3.30. Regards,