Google Chrome Bug with WinWorld Downloads

Lately, the Google Chrome web browser has broken all kinds of things. One of these problems affects downloads from WinWorldPC.com.

When clicking on a mirror link when using Google Chrome, the download will not start, and Google Chrome will just sit their like a lump on a log, but your available daily download count will decrease. WTF Google?

This all works fine in Firefox and everywhere else. This is not a problem with WinWorld.

I suggest that everyone report this issue to Google.

1. On your computer, open Chrome .
2. At the top right, click the Customize and Control button (looks like a sidways "...")
3. Click Help > Report An Issue...
4. Add details, including steps to help those idiots recreate the issue you're experiencing.
5. Choose if you want to include more information in your report, like a web address , your email address, bank account information, or a screenshot.
6. To submit the report, click Send.

BlueSun was kind enough to suggest this workaround:

On the WinWorldPC.com library, click on the lock icon to the left of the address in the address bar

and click on "Site Settings"

Scroll down to "Insecure content" and change it to "Allow".

On top of all of this, there is ANOTHER bug. Google chrome will fail to download any file with a comma in it's file name. It will only give the error: "This page isn't working julian.winworldpc.com sent an invalid response. ERR_RESPONSE_HEADERS_MULTIPLE_CONTENT_DISPOSITION.

Again, WTF Google? And again, it works FINE in Firefox. I'll get those few files renamed eventually.

I don't have any control over the backend. I was under the impression Duff or Calvin were trying to find a backend server-side workaround, but it probably got more complicated than they thought. (I believe the hot linking prevention system involved was written by a former admin).

Also, just a reminder, some other download issues are caused by crappy internet service providers changing IP addresses between each connection. This should actually break a LOT of sites besides WinWorld. To test if you have an issue with this, use this URL to compare what the site and mirrors think your IP address is: https://winworldpc.com/download/test

If the IP addresses differ, contact your ISP or get a better ISP.

Comments

• Just a little update, the download links were changed to use HTTPS a little while back in order to make Chrome happy. Since then everything seems to be working OK.

Interestingly, it seems as if this change happens to work around the issue of Chrome barfing on downloads with commas in the file name.

Therefore I am un-stickying this topic. As always if there are other issues, please report them.
This discussion has been closed.