Please upload an UNINFECTED dump of "Microsoft C/C++ 7.0 (5.25-1.2mb)"

So when I went to download the MS C/C++ 7.0 compiler (specifically the version on disk images dumped from 5.25inch floppies), which can be downloaded from https://winworldpc.com/download/c3970601-c3a6-c3af-e280-ba11c3a6c2bb my AVG Antivirus pupped up this message.

It seems that this specific dump of the software is infected with a malware called Green Caterpillar. @SomeGuy please have whoever sent you this dump resend it WITHOUT the virus, or try to find somebody else with the software who has the 5.25inch disks for this software.

Of all the software I've downloaded from here (including all the other versions of MS C/C++ compiler), I've NEVER had one trigger a virus alert before. If it happened frequently, I'd assume that AVG just tended to generate false positives, but this is the only time it happened, so I suspect that this actually might contain an infected file. SomeGuy, can you scan everything in that dump on your own PC, preferably with several different antivirus programs, to see if there's actually an infected file, and remove it from your website if it's actually infected?

Comments

• edited January 2021
    Updated. Try it again now.

Very interesting. The files on the disks were NOT infected, however a only couple of scanners were detecting something in the deleted space.

Chances are the original disks these came from were disinfected at some point in their life, which happened to leave harmless crap in the deleted space. Obviously, a real computer would not care about that.

This would never have been an issue for anyone, but AVG just wanted to be a bitch, as usual.

Anyway, I scrubbed the deleted space on disk 1 and re uploaded it. The files in the images are unchanged, and again, they were NOT infected.

Thanks for reporting that.
  • edited January 2021
    @SomeGuy thanks for the fix. I was able to download it now.

Interesting situation with the disk though. Theoretically these disks would have been from MS itself, and would have been unaltered by the user (disks marked as write protected so you could install software from them without accidentally writing to them). So even if the person who installed software from these disks had a virus on their PC that tried to copy itself to the disks, it should have been impossible.

The only way this could have happened is if the user of these disks, prior to dumping them, at some point removed write protection from the disk and then either intentionally or accidentally copied a file to the disk. If the file was not present in the file system (just data in unallocated space) it means he deleted the file after copying it, and prior to dumping the disk image. However, this still means that the disk is NOT in its original state as it would be if you'd just bought it from Microsoft and immediately dumped it upon receiving the disk in the mail.

Because it has been altered, should we really be hosting it here? I mean, isn't the purpose for this site to be a museum, with disk images in their unaltered state? At the very least, it should be mentioned on the webpage for this disk image that it is not completely unmodified. It has been altered from its original pristine state.
  • edited January 2021
    Ideally, yes we want unmodified images. But due to the nature of floppy media this can be difficult to impossible. If you happen to know someone who can provide a perfect dump, preferably with properly scanned artwork and complete manual scans, please let us know.

Looking through my eBay photo library, Microsoft C/C++ 7.0 5.25" shipped on standard disks that had write notches and no write protect tab. Very easy to mess up.
  • At lease 5.25" of it are Not dumped correctly. (It seeems to be incomplete or modified.)
    (I compared it with mine.)
  • edited January 2021
    @SomeGuy can you put a note on the page for that specific software, stating that the 5.25" version of the software is not a perfect dump (that the original media had been modified)?

@ibmpc5150 so you have an original set of 5.25" disks for this software? Could you dump them then and upload them to a file hosting website and post the download links here, so they can be added to the WinWorldPC library?