After many years I finally have another S478 P4 system!

Many years ago I used a Dell Dimension 2400 for various things. It wasn't my main computer (I used a laptop at the time as I needed portability for work), but it did see a fair amount of use. Unfortunately the VGA port for the onboard graphics output fell off the board (I can't remember what happened to cause that), so it's not very usable. Sure, I could get a PCI video card, but I've never gotten around to it. One day...

Anyways, I've wanted another S478 P4 for a while now. I actually do own another machine that does "work", but it needs some work. That machine is an IBM ThinkCentre S50 SFF machine. It has a couple bloated caps, needs a thorough cleaning, and needs 3 new fans. One of the fans has gotten so bad that it sounds like a lawn mower. I also need to find a CPU for it that doesn't generate as much heat. The 2.8GHz chip that's in it now can overwhelm the cooler after a while.

As a side job I work for myself doing freelance computer work, and it's quite enjoyable. It's actually become my main job since COVID started messing everything up. Someone I know who knows that I work on and tinker with computers was cleaning out their attic recently and came across an old Pentium 4 computer that they no longer needed. They had used it for many years to do software development work, and it had enjoyed some upgrades in that time. The computer was originally built by a local company that specializes in building computers for individuals and corporate customers. They operate a number of stores in the area, and they've been in business since the 80s. This isn't the first time I've gotten a second hand computer that was originally built by them, but it's always interesting to see their work so many years later.

The owner of this computer called me and asked me if it was anything I'd be interested in. He said that if I didn't want it he would be getting rid of it. After telling him that I most certainly was interested in it I went over to his house and (wearing a mask, as everyone should) picked it up from him. I don't know why, but Pentium 4 machines aren't very common in my area, and I've been wanting a nice, working example for a while now, so I was getting excited. I pulled the machine apart when I brought it home and I got a very nice surprise. Here's the hardware that was in the computer:

Intel D865GBF motherboard
2.4GHz Intel Pentium 4 HT (800MHz FSB, Northwood)
3GB DDR RAM (2x 1GB, 2x 512MB)
2x IDE DVD R/W drives (one has a blown belt)
FSP Group PSU with an unsettling whine
PCI ATA133 controller (very handy!)
PCI SATA I controller with eSATA breakout ports in an adjacent slot
PCI 10/100/1000 network controller
HIS ATI Radeon HD 4650 AGP graphics card (DVI-I, VGA, and HDMI)
3 high quality case fans, all of which are in working condition

Is it an old computer? Of course, it was built in 2003. But, that doesn't mean it's useless. I don't know why I'm so excited to have gotten this machine, I just know that I am. This computer will probably be completely taken apart and cleaned, and then I'll probably install Windows XP Pro on it. I may run Server 2003 on it as well for some server tasks. I'm not entirely sure why I made this post, but I guess I just want to share my excitement. A few years ago Pentium 4s were at the point where they weren't very interesting to mess with, but they weren't powerful enough to do anything useful with either. At this point I think that's changed. After all, this computer was built more than 17 years ago from what I can tell. It's fun to get a computer that genuinely interests me for once.