How do I install Windows XP on a PC with SATA harddrive?

I tested this on VirtualBox, by selecting the drive type as SATA instead of IDE, and the Windows XP installer itself gives me a BSoD (the so called "blue screen of death", that is the system crash screen in Windows). It has no problem installing if the harddrive type is IDE, only if it's SATA. I assume this is because at the time XP was released, SATA drives weren't even invented yet (or if they were they weren't available yet in consumer-level PCs). Is there some way around this? Will I need to have a separate CD (or ISO) with SATA drivers on them, and then swap disks between the XP install CD and the SATA driver install CD? I know at one point in Windows XP installation, there's a screen that says you can press F6 if you have a driver CD for any extra drivers you might need. Is this the point where I would do the CD swap, if that's possible?

If anybody knows how to install Windows XP on an SATA harddrive, please let me know. 99% of PCs now use SATA, not IDE, so I'm just using VirtualBox as a testing setup to learn how to do this. I plan to do this on a real computer when I get the chance. So if anybody here knows how to install Windows XP on an SATA harddrive, please let me know.

Comments

• Yes, you press F6 on the Windows xp setup , you can install other drivers, but F6 only works with floppies. So you need a driver that can load from floppy , and since its virtualbox you need a floppy image with a windows xp driver for sata.
  • Correct. Windows XP is not supplied with drivers for any SATA chipsets.

If you are planning to install on real hardware, there is a program called nLite that lets you slipstream additional drivers in to an ISO image. Once slipstreamed in, XP will automatically find and use any compatible devices. This can be a real time saver when working with many machines, or frequent re-installing.

But also keep in mind that unlike IDE, there are hundreds of different chipset specific SATA drivers. So the more models of machines you deal with, the more drivers you will need.
  • @michaelweaser @SomeGuy Thanks for the info.

Also, would the process be similar to the SATA driver method described above (only with USB drivers instead), if I wanted to make a live boot USB stick for XP? Let's say I wanted to make a USB stick contain a bootable copy of XP, so I install XP on a virtual drive in VirtualBox, and then use an disk image raw writer to burn that image to a physical USB jump drive. What drivers would I need to install in my virtual machine's drive (prior to burning that disk image to USB), in order to make the copy of XP (once burned to the USB drive) able to actually boot from that USB drive? Would I need a USB driver of some kind? I know that XP normally has drivers for USB (at least for running USB devices like webcams), but I'm not sure if they are designed to support actual OS booting, or if they even are loaded early enough in the boot process to allow XP to recognize that it is booting from a USB drive, and complete the boot correctly (possibly I would need some kind of USB driver designed to load early in the boot process, and support USB booting). I don't know if XP is capable of doing a USB boot as-is. I think I tried it once before on my laptop, but I got a BSoD while booting the live USB stick (before the boot process even finished). So I know that the first part of the boot does work (with the screen in text mode), but then once it tries to switch into a different mode (possibly with the switch from real16 mode to protected32 mode, or maybe once it tries to switch to a different graphics mode, not sure the actual point of failure) it immediately gives a BSoD. Can someone here provide some info on how to make such a live XP boot USB stick actually work?