Mac OS 8 8.7 Beta

edited April 5 in Product Comments

imageMac OS 8 8.7 Beta

Apple Mac OS 8 was another major overhaul of the OS from the earlier Mac OS 7. It added a new Platinum visual theme, a multi threaded Finder, better virtual memory, and many customization options. 8.5 and later require a PPC CPU. It was followed up by Mac OS 9.

Read the full story here

Comments

• How do I run this?
  • Very carefully :p

I've never tried it before, but according to my notes, it is a hard drive images, so you have to use the sheepshaver emulator and mount it as a hard drive.

Glancing at the archive, it looks like it is in a macbinary container, so it has to be exacted from that first.

If you are looking to run it on a real Mac, I think it might need a redump from a genuine CD.
  • I tried with Mac OS 8.1, but it wants to initialize the disk. If I choose not to initialize it it doesn't read it.
  • Ah, ok, it's a compressed (ndif) Apple DiskCopy image. Since it is inside a .bin file, it still has its resource fork. So you have to use something like HFVexplorer to import the .bin file in to a macintosh volume, and it will automatically convert it to .img. Then you can open the img file inside MacOS with Apple DiskCopy.
  • K so I moved the bin to a Mac OS 9 VM instead and extracted it, then installed the OS to a separate hard disk.