Tru64 UNIX 5.0

edited August 2021 in Product Comments

imageTru64 UNIX 5.0

Tru64, formerly Digital UNIX, formerly OSF/1 was DEC's UNIX product for their line of Alpha based systems. After DEC's acquisition by Compaq, it was renamed to Tru64. DEC previously had sold a BSD derivative named Ultrix for Vax and MIPS based systems. Their new UNIX on Alpha was meant to counter AT&T and Sun's SVR4 Unix. Tru64 / DIGITAL UNIX / OSF/1 is somewhat interesting in that it used portions of the Mach microkernel and BSD kernel and userland in a manner not entirely unlike NeXTSTEP or Mac OS X. Like OS X, Tru64 itself is not a microkernel system but uses Mach code in its kernel to implement threading and scheduling and possibly other features.

Read the full story here

Comments

• My dad has a tonne of software dbase iii (multiple copies) for Unix (vax/rainbow) - and some hardware that I want to connect to the right people. Is anyone an enthuast that could help me archive this?
  • edited August 2021
    @brindle123 What kind of media are we talking about and where about are you located?

There are people all around who can help with such things. You might also ask around on the VCFED forum: https://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum lots and lots of people there who deal with DEC stuff.