[Offer] The Student Edition of MATLAB (5.25' 360k disks)

Came across the MATLAT for MS-DOS book in our university's library, and it came with the original installation disks! It appears the only copy of MATLAB for MS-DOS online is an installed copy with it's bat files set to launch from A: drive. This one is the original installation disks with the installer intact. It doesn't work on my Compaq Portable with 8087 installed though, it just hangs at the Student MATLAB launch screen. (the book says it is compatible with PC/XT)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p3LBhpgGXH1vfZu3H9vhjZv2UeNWb4An/view?usp=sharing

Comments

• The installer runs OK and it unpacks all the compressed files and generates a correct matlab.bat file based on your graphics options to launch PCMATLAB. it launches OK in MDA/CGA mode on the portable but it just hangs here with the blinking cursor. Normally it would go into the ">" mode indicating it's ready for input but it doesn't do it here.
  • edited August 2021
    Thanks very much for offer the rare program. I'll test it on IBM PC 5150 soon.

-> It works on IBM PC 5150, the following graphic mode seems to support.

Hercules / CGA / AT&T / EGA / VGA
  • @ibmpc5150 hmm, does your PC have the 8087 in it? I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with my Portable that's preventing Matlab from loading.. it works on DosBox and 86box but not on the actual machine, in MS-DOS 6.22 or Compaq DOS 3.31 which is weird :(
  • the culprit has been identified, I took out the D8087 from the portable and MatLab worked. Either something is wrong with my ceramic 8087 or this version of MatLab hates math co-pros.
  • solution has been found, if you are having the same issue, just type "SET NO87=Coprocessor is Disabled for pcmatlab" before launching matlab so MS-DOS disables your 8087.
    it's ironic, Lotus 123, Windows and Checkit all reports normal math copro usage and the only Math Heavy program refuses to properly start with 8087 installed.
  • I've tested on IBM PC 5150 without 8087 Co-Processor.
  • I don't know if there is any kind of 8087 "stress tester" out there, but if there is you might check with that.

Otherwise, it is possible you might just be running in to some random obscure compatibility issue, like it won't run because the wind is blowing from the east or something.
  • edited August 2021
    @SomeGuy Thanks for the input :smiley: I ran the 87test stress software for about 40 minutes and it reported no errors.. I guess this version of PCMATLAB is just incompatible with the Compaq Portable with a copro somehow even though PCMATLAB 84' is written on a Portable :neutral: