Professional Write 3.0 for DOS

Hi everybody,

So, I found this software on WinWorldPC, and it instantly brought back memories. I wanted to download and install it using a virtual machine box, but it seems I can't install it. As soon as I clear Disk 1, it won't read Disk 2. I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Helpful hints and suggestions are appreciated. I have an old, very old file that I've been looking to reopen for nearly 25 years, and this is the closest I've gotten to having the software for it to open, only to be blocked by an error message that says the disk isn't the "Master Distribution Disk" or some BS like that.

Again, helpful suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. Let's assume I've already done the appropriate steps of un-packing the files to a directory that is off the main C:\ directory of my PC.

Comments

• What emulator are you using?

All you should have to do is tell your emulator to use disk 1 for drive "A", run the installer, and then when prompted tell your emulator to use disk 2 for drive "A", and so on.

A few emulators/virtualizers might not like anything other than 1.44mb images, and if that is an issue then you can use WinImage to resize the disk image files to 1.44mb.
  • I'm using DOSBox 0.74
  • @AdmiralBlindMan
    It installs and runs fine on MS-DOS 6.22 in 86Box.
  • So, this particular software can not just be copied in to a single folder and installed from any random location. The installer expects it to be on removable media.

Dosbox can mount floppy image files, although they make it harder than it needs to be. But unless there is some way I never figured out, it is not possible to change disk images while an application is running.

DOSBox is really not very good for business applications.
  • edited September 2021
    Just an update:

I got it to work. I had to carefully copy the files from each "disk" to a specific mounted folder that I designated as the A drive floppy while I was in the middle of the installation in the DOSBox DOS OS. For whatever reason, it worked this time round.

So, yay me on that end.

For the record, this isn't a business application of the software. This is for personal use, which is what I was using the software for back in 1991 when I was 12 years old. Kind of dating myself there, but that's about how long I've been working on computer systems.

For what it's worth, I appreciate your insights. Believe it or otherwise, they were helpful.

Sincerely,
    ~Admiral Blind Man JRK ©2021