[Offer] Zortech C++ 2.0

I've uploaded today the installation files for Zortech C++ v2.0.
Zortech was the first commercial C++ compiler for Windows and it has quite a long history. The C compiler was first named Datalight C compiler, then Zorland C, then Zortech C and then Symantec C++. It now is still in development under Digital Mars C/C++ compiler.

https://vetusware.com/download/Zortech C++ Compiler 2.0/

There are other versions on Vetusware already, Zortech C++ 1.06 and Zortech C++ 3.04. They belong here in WinWorld too.

Comments

• How do you get this to install? The installer refuses to recognize the first disk. I just get an "incorrect disk" error when it asks for "Compiler Disk 1". I added the contents of the "COMPILER.1" directory to a disk image and am installing off of that. Usually this is due to disk labels. I've tried using both "DISK1" (as shown in PACKING.LST) and "COMPILER.1" as disk labels, but neither seem to work.
  • The required volume labels can be seen inside the setup program binary.

You would think it would kill people to make proper disk dumps so others don't have to manually piece things back together.

Fissuras, I'm guessing you don't have original disks or manuals?
  • Any guidance on how to find those volume names? I opened ZTCSETUP.COM in a hex editor, but I don't see disk names. The closest I see that looks like they might be disk labels is "ZTCPP200.#01" and such (there's an entry for each disk), but those are too long (and I don't think you can have a # in a disk label).
  • I don't have the original disks. The last two days I've spent installing quite a huge number of old C compilers, some I still have to upload. This one I recall installing with a trick in DosBox but I may be mistaken. Anyway, files are not compressed, just copy them to your hard disk will work too.
  • edited September 2021
    After looking into installer the situation with labels looks like this:

ZTCPP200.#01 - COMPILER.1
    ZTCPP200.#02 - COMPILER.2
    ZTCPP200.#03 - COMPILER.3
    ZTCPP200.#04 - COMPILER.4
    ZTCPP200.#05 - COMPILER.5
    ZTCPP200.#06 - COMPILER.6
    ZTCPP200.#07 - COMPILER.7
    PPSRC200.#01 - LIBRSRC.1
    PPSRC200.#02 - LIBRSRC.2
    ZTCDB200.#01 - DEBUGGER.1
    TOOLS200.#01 - TOOLS.1
    TOOLS200.#02 - TOOLS.2

but those are too long (and I don't think you can have a # in a disk label)

Those aren't too long - just a standard 8+3 names. Don't forget, that each disk label is just a common file with zero length and a special attribute. That's it.
  • edited September 2021
    Don't forget, that each disk label is just a common file with zero length and a special attribute. That's it.

Learn something new everyday. Thanks! As for the "too long" comment, I assumed they were too long because WinImage will not let me use a disk label that long.

EDIT: I give up. I can't find any way to set the disk labels for these. As I said, WinImage won't let you use that many characters in a disk label, and the DOS label command won't let you use '.' in a disk label.
  • edited September 2021
    You can edit the volume label of a diskette with Norton DiskEdit - part of Norton Utilities. I've not tested it but it should also be possible to edit the volume label of a diskette image with DiskEdit, assuming you know a bit about FAT16 and where the root directory is normally located on a DOS diskette.
  • I've posted reconstructed disk images here: https://winworldpc.com/product/zortech-cpp/2x

In Winimage you simply omit the period. Underneath the hood, the volume label appears to dos as an 8 dot 3 file name, but most utilities such as winimage hide the dot from you.
  • Great, thank you