free bsd 5.2 install help

smgsmg
edited September 2004 in Software
please help me install free bsd 5.2 i cant

Comments

• What problem(s) do you have installing Free BSD 5.2?
  • i have win 98 installed on the harddrive which has 4 gb left, and i don't know how to make partitions without losing windows.
  • Get Partition Magic and turn the extra 4GB into another partition, that is all I can tell you, I have absolutioutly no knowledge with Paertition Magic.

BTW What filesystem is the Win98 partition using?
  • win is using fat32
  • As far as I know Partition Magic is real user friendly. So I think you will beable to make a EXT3 filesystem very easyly in Partition Magic.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    As far as I know Partition Magic is real user friendly. So I think you will beable to make a EXT3 filesystem very easyly in Partition Magic.
    It can. Shrink the C: partition and then click on the
    freed up space and choose Create a new partition
    and select ext3.
    Thump
  • Note also that DOS version of PartitionMagic can't create Ext? partitions.
  • It can. (formats and everything) But, you'd be better off shrinking your Win98 partition and setting it up in the freebsd installer - it needs its own filesystem, not ext3.
  • back up everything first just in case
  • If i had a chance to backup everything, I wouldn't use Partmgk then. I'll use FDisk
  • FreeBSD doesn't use EXT3, or any Linux-specific filesystem. It uses UFS/UFS2. As long as you resize your current FAT32 partition down and leave some free space, the FreeBSD installer will see it and let you use it to create a FreeBSD slice.
  • freeBSD installer includes a shell for its fdisk
    what problems?
    just make some unclocatted space first