Stolen Account? "You have already requested to recover your password recently."

This is probably misplaced, maybe its along the lines of "Apologizing for and regretting my behavior back in 2018!" =)
I apparently asked for a new password a month ago. For some reason neither my 3d party password manager, nor any of my inbuilt browser password managers recorded the new password. I tried asking for a recovery again and get the message "You have already requested to recover your password recently." Is a month ago really "recently"?
I have a couple of mischievous nephews, it's possible they either "stole" the account, or just deleted my password. It's hard to judge day-to-day how much computer (mis)knowledge they've gained! Or maybe it's possible someone spoofed my email and has changed it? IDK. Obviously I'm setting up a new account to comment here. The question is: can someone do damage with my old account? Can I somehow delete it so it's not misused? I'm a fairly absent-minded person, but I've never got "You have already requested to recover your password recently." when I didn't!

Comments

• There have been a lot of reports of problems with the password recovery feature. I should probably kick it around and see if I can replicate that issue. It might be broken.

Just a reminder that if one has problems logging in they can contact our admin e-mail address, although I don't check that every day.

Typically the worst an old account can do is keep sending alerts, so if you want to abandon an account, make sure to turn off alerts first.