[Offer] WIndows 1.02 French with Mouse 5.03 (SCP, IMG) [5.25]

edited June 2022 in Offers & Requests
This is Windows 1.02 in French.

It contains also Microsoft mouse disks 5.03.

Floppy images in SCP and IMG (derived from SCP). Mouse disk 1 has bad sectors and I was not able to get a proper dump with SCP (Disk surface is pristine, I don't understand what the problem is). I will try later with Disk2img.

https://mega.nz/file/aDJXFQLR#Vwodnldu7r5Sbh67AQBln0T02ZJQEJ1urY5IuALMbxI

Comments

• edited June 2022
    I made a copy of mouse disk 1 with disk2img and I was not able to recover the bad sectors. Strangely, the first bad sector did dot contain any data at all during the 200 attemps

Given that the disk surface does not show any damage and that this first track contains nothing, my guess is that there was an error during the creation of the disk.

I was able to copy all files from the disk without any problem so fortunately the bad sectors don't seem to contain important data. I also made a binary comparison of each files with the disk1 of Mouse 5.03 already on winworldpc and they all match.

https://mega.nz/file/HfRCXCpQ#LhH9MdJOoURbCTqrxvbctALAcOJ4MeUt5bKXsVKDsuw

• Thanks a lot for the rare early Windows version in French ! From what I know version 1.02 was the first 'generic' localized in other languages version of Windows.
  • Yea, the signal on that disk is all over the place. That bad, I would normally expect to see multiple large scratches. Does the cookie turn easily? Is the jacket warped? Was there any abnormally loud "whooshing" or scratching noise when reading the disk?

If you don't see any physical damage then I would also suspect something on the drive that wrote it. An issue with the quality of the magnetic material is not impossible, but there is no way to be certain unless the disk were to be re-formatted.

This is one of those things where trying a different drive may yield different results.

If is the same as the mouse disk already on Winworld, I wouldn't worry about it much.

The mouse disk was English although this was a french package?
  • edited June 2022
    I've fixed and recovered Disk 1 of MS-Mouse.
  • Taking a closer look, that mouse disk 1 has been user-modified. The bad area is in the middle of what should be the setup program, however that copy of the setup program has been deleted and a second copy added. This disk is also missing the "MENU.DOC" file. It may have been overwritten.
  • edited June 2022
    I also have MS-Mouse version 5.03 (USA-English)

https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/comment/177916#Comment_177916
    (Disk 2-3 are identical to French version of it.)

In this case, French version of Mouse 5.03 (Disk 1) is different from original USA-English.
    Of course, MENU.DOC is missing on french version, but it is Not modified.
    Disk1's Boot Sector ID is IBM 3.1 (French version), but IBM 3.2 (Original USA version)

I've already attached recovered disk 1 of MS-Mouse 5.03 (French).
    It is not so difficult to recover it.

Once again, Except Disk 1, Disk 2-3 are each same.
  • Agreed. Menu.doc was never on this French disk.
  • @callmejack Did The French version Window 1.02 came with Manual. Nice Find.
  • @ibmpc5150 thanks for fixing the disk 1!
  • @SomeGuy the surface of the cookie is really intact and there is no noise while spinning. I don’t know how they used to make copies, but if it was by having a system with one master floppy that was read and then written to several copies in real time, some dirt on the master floppy when reading could have caused all copies to have such bad sectors without having any physical damage.
  • @johnlennon364 yes, there is a Manual in french. Unfortunately it’s spiral bound so it’s a pain to scan.
  • I had discussed undoing spiral bound manuals a while back here: https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/comment/178635#Comment_178635

It does take a little practice at first, but I find them fairly easy now.

Also, commercial duplicators didn't read from a source floppy. They worked much like a Kryoflux or Transcopy - they stored an image on a hard disk or in RAM and then blasted the bits to the floppy drive, which often spun twice as fast as a normal drive.

But duplicator drives could get fouled or worn out just like any other drive. All it takes is a little dust on the heads, something stuck in the spindle motor, or disks not loading quite right. Early ones may have used belt-driven drives, which are awful for duplication purposes. I'm not sure that they always verified what they wrote, so some problems could have gone unnoticed.