Floppy Experts - Request help - what OS produced this diskette?

Been sorting through old images, doing best to verify they are authentic. I do not know what OS identifier is in Header field. Could it be IBM PC-DOS 4.01? Contents are dated 1991.Thank you...

Comments

• I've seen this boot sector before (eg: Windows 3.0 build 33 disks), it looks like the boot sector from a disk image editing tool for professionally creating floppy disk images. Floppies with this boot sector (hence created by this tool) have all files in alphabetical order and empty slack space for each file.
  • Yea, that was used with some professional disk duplicators. Many mass produced commercial titles have this boot sector.
  • Thanks for replies. I've run across another similar header, and wondered if that might be the case. That one had "INM PNCI" in the System Name field. Similarly, some Microsoft CD titles were mastered using "Buzzsaw", instead of CDImage. My comp copy of O2K while at Comdex had been done this way. Turns out it was a big CD duping outfit not far from Redmond headquarters.
  • I've seen this boot sector before (eg: Windows 3.0 build 33 disks), it looks like the boot sector from a disk image editing tool for professionally creating floppy disk images

Nope. This is a standard boot sector of a floppy formatted with Safe Format from the Norton Utilities. You can see here a typical signature 'PNCI' = Peter Norton Computing Inc.
  • So that is what PNCI stands for. Thanks for pointing that out. never occurred to me that it might be a Peter Norton product. Can't believe I never noticed that.

Never the less, that boot sector does appear on many professionally mastered disks of big name software titles.
  • Thanks for that bit of insight. (thumbs up)