Win 95 floppy install

smgsmg
edited September 2004 in Software
I saw a site yesterday where you could download Win 95 on 29 disks (one by one). But I lost it and now i wonder if anyone knows an adress to such a site, because my laptop hasn't got any CD-ROM. (Old 486 - 77 MhZ, 24 mb RAM).

PS. Is there any way to install win NT 3.1 off floppies? Just copy everything on floppis or what?

Comments

• to make a win95 floppy install copy some of the files onto floppy disks... and thats it.

only problem is that the disks have to be formatted as 1.7MB
  • smg wrote:
    I saw a site yesterday where you could download Win 95 on 29 disks (one by one). But I lost it and now i wonder if anyone knows an adress to such a site, because my laptop hasn't got any CD-ROM. (Old 486 - 77 MhZ, 24 mb RAM).

PS. Is there any way to install win NT 3.1 off floppies? Just copy everything on floppis or what?
    I know of such a site but it's down right now.
    Maybe it'll come back later.
    Thump
  • Installing NT 3.1 of floippies, I'd copy everything to floppies and then copy all the files from the floppies to the hard disk and then run Setup from there. Otherwise you are going to have to do a t0n of disk swapping.

-Q
  • Yep, it dont take much space when copying setup files to the disk then installing it from there. Floppy disks are too much of a pain.

Thump, what was that site? care to share?
  • But what if I wanna make a clean install of NT 3.51 on my laptop (as I said no CDROM), and I have a clean hard drive?
  • If you really really want windows 95 or NT on that laptop and don't want to go though the headacke of floppy swaping you can always buy a ribbon cable that will let you hookup a Laptop harddrive to a standard home PC IDE interface and just set it as slave and copy the files over then put the drive back in the laptop and install it.
  • So do what I did, null modem and InterLink/InterSvr!

-Q
  • Or do what I do... Get an external ZIP drive and disk. Format the hard drive to DOS / command prompt. Make a customized bootdisk that loads drivers for the ZIP disk that is DOS compatible. Then install off the ZIP like its a normal CD-ROM. Thats what I do with my 486 laptop!
  • heh... I think I'll just keep hoping to find things with a cd-rom drive.
  • Or buy an external parallel cable CD-ROM drive. That'll help. Instal DOS drivers then let Win95 install.
  • Thanks. But now I have another question. Since WinVision "upgraded" to "Winvision XP" all the Dos downloads were removed. But are the Yahoo briefcase downloads still left? And if so can you give me the user and pass to them?
  • What ver of DOS do you need? WinWorld probably has them, if not I personally likely do.

-Q
  • Nah, I don't only mean the DOS downloads, but also the old Microsoft Programs, Paint shop Pro for Win 3.1, and so on... BTW the WinWorld downloads of Office 97 don't work
  • Yea all the apps are on a defective serverer, we're in the process of re-placing them.

You can get Office 97 from:

http://wwsvr.bounceme.net/apps/office97.rar

-Q
  • Thx but how long will this process take?
    Thanx for Office.