Problem connecting old Windows systems to internet.

Well, Carles here, the first computer I touched was an IBM of the early 90's, at the house of my grandmother, that belonged to my aunt with windows 3.1, and since I own a computer (2004) I have always been curious about old operating systems.

The thing is that after installing old Windows OS'es in Virtual Machines, regardless if I use VMware or VirtualBox, everything (when the installation works) goes smoothly TILL I try to connect those VM's to internet. Theoretically, with a NAT or bridged connection they should automatically connect to internet according to what I know, but they do not, and I have tried everything to be able to connect to Internet, to no avail.

I have asked in some facebook groups, some say that it is because it is not an original CD, some people say that I should use a USB to put the ISO in it (my computer does not have a CD tray).

What should I do? I am talking about systems going since Windows 1.0 to Windows 7. In 8 internet works, and so does in different linux systems.

I always use the ISO's provided in the website.

Comments

• Usually the key is just making sure the right network driver is installed. Check the VM or emulator settings to make sure networking is enabled for that VM, and see what kind of network card is being emulated. On 9x/NT 4 or later check the device manager to make sure the appropriate network card and driver shows up.

From there, it is a matter of making sure networking is set up properly, for example make sure you can ping the localhost, and check the winipcfg or ipconfig to see what the settings are.
  • Could you help me to do that, remotely? How do I know if the network drivers are the correct ones?
  • Problem solved, using mypal as recommended in FB.