OFFER!!!... MROC MSynth 1.5.0 Alpha Win32 - Simple, Safe & Effective Sequencer of Yesteryear>>>

edited February 11 in Offers & Requests
Met the Developer on the Renoise forums a few years ago, Nice Guy!... Stated this was inspired by Rebirth & in a number of ways is actually better, in some not...

Even though the snapshot is from 2014 with as early as 2011 it was actually a creation in 2003 so over 20 years old...

https://web.archive.org/web/20140226194919/mroc.de/msynth/

That's where you grab it from as well...

You build your own Synths inside it in a linear modular fashion & one can bring in WAVs as well for generation. It has some built-in FX but also takes advantage of the Direct-X DMO plugs that are already on your system. A couple others do that too like SVArTracker & SequentialVibes. There is a BeatBox that imports WAVs for drums but can also be used for other purpose as Tracks are mono one might wanna bring pre-planned chords into the BeatBox to be triggered...

Typical Piano Roll all easy to grasp-learn workflow & even though an alpha pretty stable has not crashed yet I even tried loading some 24bit drum samples into BeatBox... No crash they just sounded terrible...

MSynth with all Windows open-

Automation is a breeze just R-Click on a knob to get context, enable then push record then tweak knob whilst pattern running. THEN you can go to Piano Roll & at bottom will be a lane with a crappy curve drawn out for that very same parameter... Now you can use mouse to smooth or change it...COOL!...

Most anything can be Automated & if it sucks then just clear it & do over. WAVs you bring in for Synth must be 16bit Mono & I use the freeware Wavosaur in batch mode to convert from stereo and/or 24bits...

The built-in FX are pretty good I was especially impressed by the Filter Node which has quite active Lowpass 12/24 with squelching & squealing ability madness for your 303 basslines automation. I have constructed several 303-like Synths & YES, it does it pretty good...

There is no MIDI capability, You just pencil in your tunes in the Piano Roll, the only option is your Audio Driver. Simple... Folks it's probably the simplest & easiest sequencer to make full tunes & it does have a WAV render which works just fine... I plan on making some tunes after I get enough Synths built in it...

So grab, save, play... This is not junk it is very valid freebie does not require install the requires in the docs state-

MSynth requires Microsoft Windows 2000/XP. If using Microsoft Windows 2000, it requires Microsoft DirectX 8.0 or above. It should be at least a Pentium II 400Mhz with 64 MB ram, but I recommand a Pentium III with 1GHz and at least 128 MB ram.

One thing to add I forgot is that the Synth Generators are all 'A' root based which is normally divergent from most desktop musicians 'C' based samples which are usually octaves of C or start on C then go up in semis or skipping. So you must turn the 'Tune' knob on those Synth Generators up to 1.180000 to match your 'C' samples in the Piano Rollers. AnalogSquare tune does not function, noise does not have one & the Multi-OSC which uses the WAV impulses located in the resource/wave folder well those are 'A' tuned as well. I will be working on changing those to 'C' as well as creating more impulses for the Multi-OSC but those as they are should not be moved or deleted...

Also automating a vibrato in numerous ways is easy due to the active filters but pitch bend is a problem as the tune knob is 'steppy' not smooth so a pitch bend would have to be done elsewhere & brought in. The tracks are mono but if you overlap notes the latter note becomes legato, cool on that>>>

Comments

• I think 🤔 I might just download this!
  • edited February 12
    I would hope so... A person can make some bang-up music in it... I been makin' Synths for a few hours now sample-based using WAVE generator & they all sound real good... There is a bit of limitation on the Piano Roller you can go 16 or 32 steps per bar so there's no account for triplets but if you are doing 130 BPM or less you can double the BPM for more resolution which will get you a triplet resolution...

Also found that by stair-stepping notes an actual pitch bend can be had with practice but note slides easy. It appears as piano roller was designed more like a Rebirth 303 Sequencer under the skin as each note is renewed in legato form (no retrigger attack) or note 'ties' form like one would do in Rebirth, NoiseTrekker2 or Protrekkr...

• looks simple and powerful, my favourite :blush:
  • Yeah... Pretty cool & when I was discussing over at Renoise forums several years ago he actually seemed flattered by it & thought MSynth 'wasn't that good'... It's actually genius simple & well thought out especially for 2003....

Making smooth automation curves concentrate on a smooth knob arc while recording THEN go in after & work the curve over in the piano roll editor>>>

This is great for 303 Riff action & way beyond it is amazing it has not been discovered by such cults. I'm sure by now you have discovered the power of the filter Lowpass with different algos to choose from, 5 in all whether 12/24 db...
  • OK Have some ready-made Synths & BeatBoxes...

Like 54 Synths either generator or sample-type & like 19 BeatBoxes all just 8 channel I plan on doing some twelve & maybe some 18 channel versions later...

Remember if you are mixing generator & sample Synths you will have to retune the generator up to like 1.180000 to be on same pitch as everything in MROC is 'A' pitched not 'C' pitched...

https://send.cm/d/xDQo

OR

https://gofile.io/d/YjnvmV