Bonzi Buddy

https://archive.org/details/Bonzi1999

This is the version with me mate parrot 🦜 while I’m on my island 🏝

Come little buddy you know you want to try it!

Cheers 🍻

BigfarT2

β€œThat’s right little Buddy 🦜 it’s that time again for a parrot 🦜 πŸ’¨ πŸ’¨ fart!”

Comments

• BonziBuddy is malware. You know that, right?
  • Even windows πŸͺŸ is spyware! Do you really want to install that and make billy richer?
  • It is indeed interesting and scary to see how what was once considered "malware" is standard practice now.

It had deceptive built-in advertising that looked like a standard Windows alert, covered things on the screen that users needed to see with advertisements, and collected user data. Seems rather mild by modern standards.
  • Indeed. Nowadays rogue software just locks down your entire system and demand a payment in Bitcoin...

That said, the company behind this are no longer around so, would it be safe to have it installed now? Even if the spyware risk is still relevant twenty years on, I can just have that stupid purple gorilla on an undo disk no problem.
  • Good reason to have the crappiest machine as the 'internet viaduct' then keep all others offline... For me using XP no problems I guess it's old enough to be under the radar plus many ads that pop up on Wife's windows 10 don't even show on mine...

But as far as modern spyware you'd have to delete your entire windows OS to be clean... Windows 98 had no backdoor but even since drop by drop every OS getting worse...

My blind Granddaughter had windows 10 force installed while she was away then nothing but problems whereas windows 7 not a hitch before that...