ati rage 128 ultra driver not working

i only found 1 driver that worked, and now the system is locked up, black screen, hourglass cursor. the driver that i found was this one. i'm using windows 98.

Comments

• edited April 14
    Real hardware, or virtualized?

Which ATI Rage card? There were a shit-ton of variants.

You can trying booting in safe mode, then deleting the driver: "To get to Windows 98 and Me Safe Mode, press and hold either the F8 or Ctrl key as the computer is booting up. If done correctly, a "Windows 98 Startup Menu" or "Windows Me Startup Menu" screen."

It wasn't fun back when Win98 was new, and I'm sure it hasn't gotten any easier.

My recollection on both ATi, S3 Virge - even Trident cards, is they needed to have their drivers installed before sound, network etc, to avoid conflicts. Not to mention many mainboard chipsets, or whether ISA, PCI, AGP. It was an endless battle...

And that about sums up all I know.

Example of "Rage" variants:
    https://archive.org/details/ati-524-cd

ATI Rage Series Video Card Drivers Installation CD v5.24
    by ATI Technologies

Publication date 1998-08-25
    Topics ATI, All-In-Wonder Pro, ATI-264VT4, ATI-264VT3, ATI-264VT2, ATI 3D Rage II, Rage II+, Rage IIC, ATI 3D Rage Pro, 3D Rage Pro Turbo, 3D Rage LT, ATI 3D Pro Turbo, ATI 3D Xpression+, Xpression+ PC2TV, ATI 3D Charger, ATI Video Xpression, ATI Video Boost, ATI WinTurbo, ATI WinBoost, ATI Xpert@Work, Xpert@Play, ATI XpertXL, ATI Graphics Pro Turbo, Graphics Pro Turbo 1600, ATI Graphics Xpression, ATI Graphics Ultra Pro, ATI Graphics Ultra+, ATI Graphics Wonder, ATI Graphics Ultra, ATI Graphics Vantage, ATI 8514/Ultra, ATI mach64, mach32, mach 8, ATI Video Card, ATI Video Card Drivers, Video Drivers, Graphics Drivers, Graphics Card, Utilties, Installation Software, Windows 3.1, Windows 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, NT 3.51, NT 4.0, OpenGL, QuakeGL, Quake, 3D Video, Gaming Graphics, Video Accelerator, PCI Card, AGP Card, ISA Card, Windows Drivers
    Language English

• real hardware, ati rage 128 ultra card (oem rage 128 pro), agp, tried installing all the drivers i can find, only 2 work (i found another one). safe mode works, just nothing either detects the card, or actually works. should i reinstall windows 98?
  • "should i reinstall windows 98?"

Not my call. I know AGP is/was a beast - it needed attention paid to in BIOS - it played well on some chipsets and not others - ISA cards didn't know anything about AGP (or the later PCI) and wreaked havoc.

My old rule back when I built a shit-ton of computers for the shows, was to get a new motherboard/AGP card working first, then add in the other stuff later - sound, network, modem, etc.

It's a big enough deal, that even today, there are several write-ups on installing/configuring AGP vid cards.

And I know, somebody will come along and say they never never had any problem whatsoever.(shrugs).

• And I know, somebody will come along and say they never never had any problem whatsoever.(shrugs).

Heh, not me. Way overdue trying to find a different video card that is semi-stable on an overclocked KT7A with Windows 95 ORS2.1. May not actually be possible.

• get a new motherboard/AGP card working first, then add in the other stuff later
    basically everything is on board on my computer (which was made for winxp but we dont talk about that) except for the sound card i'm using as well as the graphics card. i've switched graphics cards to the ati one because tried to switch drivers for a matrox g450 or something and losing full color and large screen in the process. (also i could have gone with an nvidia riva tnt2, but ended up choosing this one)
  • edited April 15
    "an overclocked KT7A"

Good board, VIA chipset, amiright? Fussy on ram. Does that one have PCI-X?
  • Yea, VIA chipset. It has a full load of regular PCI slots, an AGP 4x, and is one of the last consumer boards to also include an ISA slot. Running a Mobile Athlon at 2133mhz. Technically the CPU is slightly underclocked but the board doesn't officially support anything that fast, so using a modded BIOS. PCI and AGP have some known timing issues, it works stable on some OSes (NT/2000/XP) but it's never been perfectly happy with my 95. Never tried 98/ME on it.
  • we're getting off track (also i should mention that the system proprieties list the os as windows me so :/)
  • "PCI and AGP have some known timing issues"

Yup. That's the crux of it. I don't remember now, but there were only a couple of brands of ram that played well with that AMD and the VIA chipset.
  • "we're getting off track"

Hardly. A meandering convo is exactly how things get revealed. Like, frex - you just now mentioning that the system reports as Windows ME.

• What (also I think that was kernelex's fault)
  • While trying to boot off of a floppy disk, it actually booted, with drivers
  • Found the issue: don't boot with a usb stick in the slot
  • "Found the issue: don't boot with a usb stick in the slot"

wow. Well, good for you!